Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Late Collection

Am having some trouble over the Late Collection Policy.

At the moment, if a child is late being collected at the end of the day, then 2 staff wait until the child is collected. On the majority of cases when a parent/carer is late, they have not rung to let us know. Usually staff have to wait for no more than 10 minutes, but in the past, before I was there, they waited nearly an hour, and as the nursery had no policy/procedure, they did not know what to do, and whether they should ring Social Services.

1. What does your policy say? I want to find out if there is a common timescale that people wait. I asked our EYs advisor, and I asked the Ofsted lady when she did my Suitable Person Interview, but neither of them knew!!!

2. Do you charge each time a child is late being collected? Does the charge apply after a certain length of lateness? How much do you charge?

Thanks!

Guest cathy m

I am a childminder so I have to produce all my own policies, that are work for my setting. Parents are made aware when signing the contract that they will incur additional charges if they are late. I have attached my child collection policy.

Cathy

CHILD_COLLECTION_POLICY.doc

Many nurseries charge £10 for late collection, and it is often after 10 mins that this applies. Does this get stated in the policy? My concern is that if the policy states that they get charged after 10 mins, then some parents will know that they have that 10 minutes to play with.

Thanks,

Shelley

Edited by Guest

My setting charges £5-00 for unbooked late collections - this means after 6!. The Nursery closes at 6.00 but parents can book a late (up to 6.30) we have to have 2 members of staff on till 6.30 to cover booked lates so there is a charge to them of £2-50.

We have a very clear policy that states if we have not heard by 6.30 and cannot reach any of the contact numbers, then there are a series of numbers to call - Manager, Directors, then Social Services Duty Officer or Police. In practice this means that it could be between 40 minutes to an hour before we are 'reporting' the child as abandoned, which is more than enough time for us to be contacted, I would think!!

Sue

te committee put in a charge of £5.00 for parents if they are over 10 mins late for 3x...i do not have the heart to actually say to parents right you now us £5. :o

Hali,

you really shouldn't have to! Let the Committee make it clear in 'ts and cs', and then they can write to parents informing them they have incurred the charge - ASAP!!, so you don't end up with folk thinking they can get away with it, making it a daily practice!

Sue

Hali - I agree with Sue.

When I started at my nursery there were no Terms and Conditions at all. The first thing I did was to get them drawn up, and get each parent to sign them. I didn't have one single complaint.

They clearly state about the late charge, and then refer parents to the Late Collection Policy (luckily no-one has asked me for this as I haven't finalised it yet!!).

Shelley

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)