Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

All The Good Things!

As a manager, how often do you sit back and think of all the good things that you've achieved recently?

I don't know if I'm hard on myself, but I see a list of things that I would like to change or improve, and an ever increasing To Do list of managerial tasks.

The other day I sat back and thought of all the good things I've achieved in just 2 months as manager, and I felt quite positive (for a while!!).

Shelley

I know what you mean Shelley and there never seems to be enough hours in the day in which to have it all done! I don't envy you your stress, kind of looking forward to going back to being a NN rather than a manger! Keep your chin up and just keep reminding yourself of the good things you have achieved!

As a manager, how often do you sit back and think of all the good things that you've achieved recently?

I don't know if I'm hard on myself, but I see a list of things that I would like to change or improve, and an ever increasing To Do list of managerial tasks.

The other day I sat back and thought of all the good things I've achieved in just 2 months as manager, and I felt quite positive (for a while!!).

Shelley

Go on Share with us Shelley, what were they?

I must admit, now our Ofsted is over our team have collectively decided to sit back and look at achievements rather than 'next steps' development. In fact I have decided to make an achievement file ( like I do for the children) for each member of staff, I shall present it to them at the end of term :D

I do know that as the owner, (previous manager/owner) I do tend to keep telling staff what needs improving and sometimes lack giving enough praise, I mean they do turn up each day, which is more than can be said for me :oxD:D:)

Peggy

In fact I have decided to make an achievement file ( like I do for the children) for each member of staff, I shall present it to them at the end of term :D

Peggy

That's a brilliant idea (oh no - something else to add to my To Do list!!). What format will it take - photos? text?????

The things that I have achieved in quite a short space are:

Changing the rotas. The children who have breakfast with us all sit as one 'family' of mixed ages, and then split into rooms afterwards. Before they were together for an hour before splitting, now they split straight after breakfast which is much more appropriate;

Staff Changes - meaning that the room that was extremely weak is already really good after just 1 and a half weeks;

A communication board that staff refer to and use daily - now no-one can say that they "didn't know";

All 3 rooms get 2 hours planning time per week away from the children. For 2 years they've planned in their rooms whilst caring for the children;

Have appointed a well good H & S Officer, who has already done an action plan, and has started implementing it;

Have sorted out an ongoing undercurrent that has been present between 2 staff who work together, over something silly that has grown out of all proportion. They are now the best of friends and even text each other outside of work!!!

Actually, now I've started I'm finding it hard to stop!! I think everyone should come up with their own list - "What have you achieved in the last 8 weeks that you are pleased with??" It's good therapy!!

Edited by Guest

I always get that feeling at this time of year. I am usually feeling tired and fed up and thinking about everything I have not yet got round to doing and then I just look through the observations and assessments of the children who are leaving us. I find it really satisfying reading the first observations made of particular children who only communicated by shouting and growling, those who couldn't share, those who were unbearably shy and self conscious, those who threw things and smacked in temper every time they were asked to do anything - the list goes on. I then walk into nursery and just look at the children. There they are all playing together, sharing, communicating, running to me to show me what they have done. I just get that lovely warm feeling that I love my job.

It also helps when I look at our recent Ofsted report. Last year we came off the list of schools needing support and in May this year we got 'good with outstanding features'. I still said to the inspector that I wished she had come next year when we would have been nearer where we wanted to be and she apologised!

I think it is hard as an owner/manager because there is nobody to give you the praise and confirmation that you are doing it right.

I try hard to ensure my staff feel appreciated but there is nobody to do the same for me. I don't think it is necessarily a case of being hard on yourself but we do find it difficult to shout about what we do. Is it a British thing?

Linda

I feel horrible today - as the manager I try to ensure all staff feel valued - but feel guilty whenever I recieve specific praise from the management committee or registered person, because I made the mistake of recommending the employment of a (very efficient and well qualified member of staff) whose mother was already employed. The 'family mafia' and 'lion mother protection' reflex has made my life a misery for the past year and a half. It particularly seems to flair up at the end of the school year, and I spent my last summer break dreading going back, it seems to be going the same way again. I feel like giving up - except I am too bloody minded :oxD Deep breath - I can overcome this :):) I hope!

Try to enjoy your summer break, it's YOUR time and you deserve it, :D don't let them get to you, :)

Edited by Guest

I feel horrible today - as the manager I try to ensure all staff feel valued - but feel guilty whenever I recieve specific praise from the management committee or registered person, because I made the mistake of recommending the employment of a (very efficient and well qualified member of staff) whose mother was already employed. The 'family mafia' and 'lion mother protection' reflex has made my life a misery for the past year and a half. It particularly seems to flair up at the end of the school year, and I spent my last summer break dreading going back, it seems to be going the same way again. I feel like giving up - except I am too bloody minded xD:( Deep breath - I can overcome this :):) I hope!

YES YOU CAN - your management value you, believe them. Have a good break. :D

Have they got a son/brother you could marry, then you would be family too :o (only joking, or is it possible???)

Peggy

Thanks for all the support. I am 'back on track' now, was just feeling a bit low. I suppose like everyone else at the end of a busy year my emotional strength is a bit depleted. But your comments and support have helped :) !

and Peggy - no - if you saw the candidates you wouldn't ask that question :o (and I think bigamy is still an offence isn't it, I'll check it out with my husband xD )