Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Coloured Pasta

I part boil the pasta with the food colouring of choice (some colours work better than others - remember the pasta has a yellow tinge so 'blue' often turns out 'green'!). Then I drain it well and spread it onto a baking tray and dry it in a very, very low oven for a couple of hours until completely dried.

Hi

Please can you let me know which way works best for a threading activity to create a necklace which will not coat the fingers and/or clothes in food colour?

Thanks.

Rather than using food colouring, I have previously filled a plastic washing up bowl with paint and then sloshed the uncooked pasta around in it, taken it out, drained and dried the pasta (didn't think of using the oven, so dried it all on pieces of kitchen towel stuck in the airing cupboard on top of the boiler xD ) I found the paint stuck and if it came off, it was hugely easier to wash off than food colouring, which can stay seeped into the skin for what feels like months!

Alternatively, I would get the children to paint the pasta themselves before they thread it (obviously letting it dry first!)

Or just had another thouhgt, you could colour the pasta using the food colouring and using the washing up bowl (or similar) make a PVA glaze to swish them about it! That should make the pasta shiny, whilst acting like a kind of varnish.

Could be messy... :o:( !!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)