Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Clay Wall Mural

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

My head retires in4 weeks and has a sudden desire to have a clay tiled mural outside on a wall.

This is all tied into our art week based on the National Gallery Big Picture.

has any one done one of these?

I plan to let each class design their own picture based on the 4 elements,earth,water,air and fire.I have chosen water for my r/yr1 thinking we could each make a fish tile and press patterns into them.We will have to get them fired at the local secondary school.Then I thought we could assemble them on a board with a lip all around and grout them in and do a mosaic effect ,with the fish and some glass beads(the type you put in vases)and mosaic tiles...

As the art/dt co-ordinator i will have all 4 to do!!in 4 weeks!!!

Tinkerbellx

What you plan to do is what I'd have done too. It sounds gorgeous. Don't worry about the 4 week period - it'll be well worth it. I bet you're well motivated?

Post some photos when it's done,

Shelley

Hi tinkerbell,

Sounds as if you will be busy! I've done some simular work, all you need to be careful of is the wood and adhesive you use. Use outdoo or marine 3 ply and make sure you seal the edges with pva before starting. (otherwise it will soak up water and warp).

The tile adhesive has to be waterproof and check the details on pack for temperatures.

There is a fantastic adhesive which you can get from the mosaic workshop/ london. They will deliver or put you in touch with local suppliers. They are also great on offering technical advice. tel:02072722446.

If you are putting the time in .. you want to be comforted it isn't going to fall apart with the 1st frost!

Hope it helps and please... send a photo when finished, would love to see it.

Good luck

Skylight.

Guest tinkerbell

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Skylight I didn't know the adhesive had to be waterproof I was just assuming it would be!!!I must check tomorrow.

Today went well ..all 4 classess have checked out the wall where they will put their mural and measured up.They have also drawn their designs and chosen the winning one for each class.!

Tomorrow we are making the tiles.

Tinkerbellx

Hi Tinkerbell,

I was assumming the tiles were going to be placed outside? You need to take into consideration the natural elements etc. Just check details on the grout/ adhesive you use as it would be a shame for the tiles to pop out in a years time after all that hard work!

Good luck & enjoy it! Sounds like great fun.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)