Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

To Be Or Not............

Marion

I'm considering applying for a new job ............ and struggling with the decision. The new job would be in a very challenging school /deprived area/ poor language skills but it would be just that a challenge. I wouldnt have the backing of the super team I currently work with in fact I would be on my own. Closing date is Thursday a hum! HELP!

Marion,

I'm not really much help, not being a teacher, but it seems to me that if you are considering it, and it's the challenge that attracts you, well - at least apply. You may not get it - solved! But in applying, visiting school and meeting some staff you'll get a better picture.... and I suspect you're feeling restless where you are, even if the team are great!

Best of luck!

Sue

its so hard isnt it, i am quite happy in my job love the day to day work and my team but not ther management!!!, but on the other hand would love to go it alone for me - be my own boss....good luck in your decision you are very brave.... :)

I'd say go for it, if you are considering it then you are looking for a change and by applying you lose nothing. You can always withdraw should you be invited to interview if you have decided by then it is not for you, but you can not put in a late application unless they readvertise.

Have you been for an informal visit? What are you unsure about? An informal visit I did left me feeling very uncertain, on the face of it the job was good but there was something I was not quite sure about and I didnt apply. I know the person who got the job and she has been very unhappy so your instincts may be telling you to wait?

Good luck.

Nothing ventured nothing gained-an application does not mean a commitment. If nothing else if you get an interview it will add to your experience and, at the end of the day, you don't have to take the job.

Linda

Hi Marion

I understand your hesitancy but agree with Linda.

If you do nothing you may often wonder 'what if' so I would apply and see how it goes :D

If nothing comes of your application you can put it down to experience but I bet you get offered an interview :D - I would go all the way and make the decision when you get a job offer. By then you will have had a feel for the school and be more informed as to whether it's right for you.

Good luck with the decision making and do let us know how it goes :D

I have just completed the application form which needs to be returned by lunchtime tommorrow. I have also discovered by an experienced Early Years Teacher they mean someone to teach reception Year 1 AND Year 2 in the same class fingers crossed.

Well Ive got an interview..................... they want to observe teaching a mixed R Y1 Y2 group either literacy or numeracy for 20 mins followed by a 10 min powerpoint presentation on Effective practice in mixed age classes and links between FS and KS1 eeeeeeeeeek!

Well done for getting the interview!! :) Have you got plenty of time to prepare for it??

Hope it goes well for you and you see enough there to make a choice on whether it is what you want to do or not. Sounds like a huge challenge but definetely a rewarding one!

Good luck :D:D

Dear Marion

Well done - I've only picked this up late but I think its really important to get the interview experience as while you have doubts about this one and it may or may not be what you want - when/if you do decide to go for something else if this one doesn't work out for you - then you will have experienced the application/nterview process and maybe a bit more relaxed (if you can be). Best of luck

Nikki

• 10 months later...

It must be that time of year again.............I've just heard about another job and I'm very tempted to apply. I've just emailed asking for an application pack.................eeeeeeeek! I wasn't even thinking about moving before hearing about the post so will have to inform the head on Tuesday.

I think you would be great in a school that is starting from scratch, you have so much in terms of informative resources, up to date strategies / initiatives and just from reading your many posts you also have great committment and enthusiasm for teaching 'from the child'. :o

Good luck, can't wait to hear how the application progresses.

Peggy