Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Super Day

Rea

I've been to playgroup today and I had the most fun I've had in ages. The children played with a mix of sand and compost and then somebody gave them a bowl full of ice cubes. These went straight into the compost and then a bright spark wanted to wash them. We kept some back to see if anything would happen to them and them put some in warm water and then searched for them. A bit later while playing with the cars I drew some lines in chalk so we could see how far the cars rolled, a little girl drew loads more chalk lines because Charlies bike went far. The whole of the church hall floor was drawn oin and the learningthat had taken place was brilliant. I wish more places could be as free and child initiated. Heres some photos

Damn computer has forgotten where it's put them, but it was a great day :D

We had a great session today as well, decided to let the children have more freedom and changed the session completely - what a difference a day makes, I feel inspired again! :):D

Quote "Just remind me - why do we need detailed planning? Children seem to learn far more without it!"

Raine,

Here's a quote from my Ofsted Inspection report after Inspectors observed a session similar to Rea's ( sounds great fun Rea :D )

"The Planning is very effective at following the childrens natural interests; however the educational content is sometimes lost because the emphasis is on what they enjoy, rather than what they learn." xD

recommendation: " ensure the activities provided equally emphasise what the children may learn as well as enjoy" :(:(

Planning is for the sole purpose of proving that we know what they may learn and that they learn what we know they may learn, unless of course they learn either;

1/ something we didn't remember to write in our long list of what they may have learnt, :wacko: or

2/ That it's not enough "just to enjoy" :o

I am just pleased that the children do "enjoy" (and that this has been recognised in the report) whilst they are learning, and that learning at my preschool does not take away the "joy" of just being. I just need to write the learning for all those who don't know. :(

Just one question; If the children don't know what they are learning, does that stop them from learning? ( me thinks not)

Peggy

"The Planning is very effective at following the childrens natural interests; however the educational content is sometimes lost because the emphasis is on what they enjoy, rather than what they learn." :o

Dont you just despair??? Well done men in suits xD