Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

When Is A Complaint, A Complaint?!

What do Ofsted class as a complaint?

I know that we have to keep a record of complaints, and that all parents have access to it, and I know that we have to use the format provided by Ofsted, even if the complaint is dealt with internally, and it doesn't go as far as Ofsted.

What I'm not clear on is what is classed as a complaint?

E.g.

1. Today a child got biten and the staff dealt with it in the correct manner, and informed the parent as soon as she collected her child. They got her to sign the correct form to say that she knew about it. Having gone out to the car and had a good gossip with another parent, she came storming back and demanded to see me, wanting to know what was going to be done with the other child. I calmed her down straight away; acknowledged her upset; and reassurred her. Is this classed as a complaint?

2. I had a note from a parent who was upset that a member of staff was not her child's keyworker, and that she wanted it "sorted". I dealt with the complaint straight away and wrote her a letter that I was personnally very pleased with. Does this need to be logged as a complaint?

Shelley

I would log the conversation at the end of your write up about the incident,ask mum to sign this and ask if she is happy with your response if not does she want to take it further if so she needs to put it in writing that would be classed as a complaint.

1. Today a child got biten and the staff dealt with it in the correct manner, and informed the parent as soon as she collected her child. They got her to sign the correct form to say that she knew about it. Having gone out to the car and had a good gossip with another parent, she came storming back and demanded to see me, wanting to know what was going to be done with the other child. I calmed her down straight away; acknowledged her upset; and reassurred her. Is this classed as a complaint?

I would say this was an incident... the child was involved in an incident, you notified parent and then she questioned it, you calmed her down and that was fine - you could log this down it f you wish on the back on the incident form and leave it at that... it was a verbal discussion about the incident IMO, however if she mentions it again then ask her if she would like to it written down as a complaint.... and ask her to witness what you report!

2. I had a note from a parent who was upset that a member of staff was not her child's keyworker, and that she wanted it "sorted". I dealt with the complaint straight away and wrote her a letter that I was personnally very pleased with. Does this need to be logged as a complaint?

A letter in writing - needs to be kept and record along with your response. A definate complaint and you dealt with is swiftly - keep a copy of all correspondence.

Does that help?

I always make sure the parent is happy with the response of the verbal complaint eg.knows we have a policy on biting and reassured it is adhered to,however understands the difficulties in being there when a biter strikes every single second. I think it stops playground gossip to a certain degree which can get out of hand in these cases or come back and haunt you one day for instance in an ofsted questionaire. also it is curtious to follow it up. but thats just me and Im not saying it is the right way ofcourse :o

Personally, I write down everything just in case. Some parents might be happy with your solutions to their queries/questions/complaints, whereas others might not be. I don't think it hurts to cover all bases! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)