Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading Books

The head called me in today and said 'order some reading books' How much can I spend? He replied 'A considerable amount' Now not one to look a gift horse in the mouth I'm looking for suggestions on new books. Currently we use Rigby Rockets still have Ginn 360 and Oxford Reading Tree anyone recommend something different

I don't know if you read my other post about the 'Jelly and Bean' and Ruth Miskin books - they're phonics based though.

I also don't know if it's relevant but I share the Literacy co-ordinator job with the Year 6 teacher and having analysed our SATs results we found that our children's higher level reading skills, things like inference and deduction, weren't that great. Also, we were worried about having children just barking at print and seeing reading as a school job rather than an enjoyable experience.

In order to try and combat this we held a reading scheme amnesty at school and have collected up all the scheme books (there were LOADS!). We have then organised them into suitability for reading ages, partly on the Cliff Moon guidelines and partly using our judgement. We have also spent a lot of money on buying 'real books' and these have been inserted into each reading band. All the books are now colour stickered for age reference and are nicely presented on different shelves.

We feel really positive about this as it has stopped children getting stuck with a scheme they don't like and they are now able to go and choose any book they like from the colour shelf that they are on rather than be told which book to choose next. It's been lovely to watch children be selective about the books they choose and if you talk to them they respond really well to the new system.

Oops - I should have said that things operate slightly differently for Reception - we've had a big push on phonics - that's where the 'Jelly and Bean' and Ruth Miskin books come in.

Edited by Guest

We use a mixture of schemes but in Reception it is mainly Heinneman the PM Starters Scheme. Very clear lay out, good reference to the 45 HFW and both photographic and drawn illlustrations. The scheme runs up to our Year 2. We also supplement this with Aplha Kids (not sure of publisher). I am interested in the Ruth miskin stuff particularly book with segmenting and blending words CVC etc. I think the Jelly and Bean do this?

We have also spent a lot of money on buying 'real books' and these have been inserted into each reading band. All the books are now colour stickered for age reference and are nicely presented on different shelves.

We feel really positive about this as it has stopped children getting stuck with a scheme they don't like and they are now able to go and choose any book they like from the colour shelf that they are on rather than be told which book to choose next. It's been lovely to watch children be selective about the books they choose and if you talk to them they respond really well to the new system.

We've done this too... it's worked really well... we bought loads of regular books and banded them with our scheme, and every week - the children get to go and choose their own book from the colour band they're on... I have to go and hunt them down sometimes after I've sent them to choose, and find them in the reading corner with a host of books splayed out on the floor :o "I can't choose!" is often the reply... "Can I have more than one? :( "

tehe xD

Thanks everyone. We currently send home a reading scheme book and a 'real' book to give the children a wider experience. I dont want to go down the phonics reading scheme line as my personal feeling is that it limits the children somewhat. I do like the Rigby books we currently use as our main scheme but want to broaden things. Ive looked today at the Collins Big Cat books has anyone any experience?

We use the Rigby star for guided reading The children really like them and there is good guidance for teachers in the teacher copy of the book. the Rigby Rockets go home. havent seen collins big cats. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)