Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Meetings

I am the new manager in a nursery, and currently we have staff meetings once a month, at the end of the day.

As the nursery has been without a manager for a while, I am finding that there are a lot of changes that need to take place soon. Several of the changes affect the whole nursery and all of the staff, and I am finding that I don't want to wait for the next staff meeting to come up to address the next issue. However, due to staff ratios, etc, there is no other way to get all the staff together at any other time.

How often do whole staff meetings occur within your settings? Do you have other times in between meetings when whole group issues can be addressed? Does anyone use another format such as sending round memos - and if so, how effective are these?

All suggestions very welcome!

Shelley

Hi Shelley,

Where i work at the moment i am not the manager but i am a senior member of staff. We have staff meetings, wait for this, once a term. I personally think we should have staff meetings more regularly than that.

Where i used to work we had staff meetings once a month, but in between that if any issues needed to be discussed, then a meeting of senior management staff was held and the senior management staff would pass any important issues on to their team members. I have worked in a nursery where memos were used as well, memos are useful to get information across as soon as possible and then at the next staff meeting the issues can be discussed. But i suppose it depends on what the nursery is like, how many staff etc and how urgent the issues are that need to be discussed. And as the manager i am sure you can request a staff meeting, obviously giving enough time for staff to make any nescessary arrangements to enable them to attend the meeting. When staff have been without a manager for a long time they can become very stuck in their ways and let good practice slip. I hope all goes well with you in your new post. I am planning to move forward within the next year hopefully to start applying for a management post, it will be a challenge.

Rosepetal :)

Thanks Rosepetal. Meetings once a term - blimey I can't imagine that!

Your suggestions pretty much confirmed what I was thinking - it's always comforting to hear that someone else shares your views.

Good luck with the career progression. I am certain you'll be a big success.

Shelley

That sounds wonderful Carol, in September I am planning to suggest weekly meetings (we won't get paid that might cause a problem) just to keep everyone informed - but at the moment its termly!(and we don't get paid, my manager thinks that there is time for everything during working hours, we prefer to look after the children though :o ).

I also have started using memos weekly to remind staff at the end of one week what we are covering the next week, I feel it keeps an informal, yet informative way of ensuring everyone has had the opportunity to prepare for the coming week, sometimes it's just a few lines but the staff seem to appreciate that they have a reminder if nothing else of what theme's or areas we are covering, or to be aware of visitors, students etc.

I have also started to keep minutes which has never been done before! I photocopy them after a meeting and hand out to ensure information has been grasped.

I make it sound ilke I know what I am doing but I have only just started to implement these changes as I am to become a duty manager in September, I am worried about the lack of communication, and I am a bit keen at the moment, I know that will pass, ther is sooo much paperwork! xD

Edited by Guest

We have staff meetings twice each half term-the second Tuesday of the half term and the last Friday. I would like to have them more often but finances are an issue-as I am sure they are with most other private and voluntary settings. I won't ask my staff to attend meetings unless I can pay for them.

Linda

We have staff meetings once every half term - ususally for 2.5 hours. Twice a half term sounds better to me - how long are your meetings Linda?

We get paid for attendance at meetings.

Does anyone get paid non contact time?

Sue

We have staff meetings every Friday afternoon, we are paid to 12.15, probably have half an hour for lunch and often struggling to get out of the door by 3.30 with still loads to do at home. No we don't get paid. We are a Pre-School though with only 5 members of staff.

Deb

Our Tuesday meetings are from 12.30 to 3.00 and the Friday ones are a full day training and staff meeting from 9.00 to 3.00.

Linda

We have a staff meeting from 1-3pm every Thursday, where we do some training or self-evaluation of some sort, discuss the children we have observed that week, and then plan for the following week. Then if we have any time left :o we complete the children's records.

That's at my nursery......

In the children's centre where I'm also working, there was a monthly staff when the nursery closed, from 6-8pm. Many of the staff are in at 8am, and it clearly wasn't right for anyone to be expected to stay (paid or otherwise) for that length of time. So, we've changed it to 5-6pm EVERY Wednesday, and most staff are able to attend (unless it's their day off, or they are looking after the three children who are left at that time of day. )We did try to close at 5pm on Wednesdays, but there were some regulations about CCs that state we have to be open 8-6.

It's not perfect but at least it means most members of staff get to most meetings, and as minutes are taken and distributed, messages do usually get through. If numbers of children increase at this time, there has been talk of bringing in bank staff to make up the numbers, who would work alongside the permanent staff for that hour.

Hi Shelley

I was just wondering how big your nursery is (am assuming you are a day nursery) and if you have room meetings? This can sometimes help to pass on information as they can be shorter and held more frequently. They are particularly useful if you have info relevant for specific age groups. Of course this is still dependent on ratios and time.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Yes it is a 34 place nursery. Each room has a 2 hour planning meeting each week in work hours, and I cover their rooms. There are some sessions when we have very few children, and I try to arrange planning meetings for then. It might be possible for me to attend for a period of their meeting, if someone else can cover.

I'm wracking my brains for different options of what to do. All of the suggestions are certainly very useful so far.

Shelley

Hi Shelley

Just a little aside, you might already ahve a copy but if not, you might fidn this book useful

'Managing Staff in Early Years Settings' by Adrian Smith and Ann Langston, it is published by Routledge.

It is a great book and has a whole section on managing change and chapters on meetings and communication. It's not cheap, I've had mine a couple of years or so and it was£22.50, but you might be able to get a copy on amazon - that is if you don't have it.

Jenny

Hi Shelley

Just a little aside, you might already ahve a copy but if not, you might fidn this book useful

'Managing Staff in Early Years Settings' by Adrian Smith and Ann Langston, it is published by Routledge.

It is a great book and has a whole section on managing change and chapters on meetings and communication. It's not cheap, I've had mine a couple of years or so and it was£22.50, but you might be able to get a copy on amazon - that is if you don't have it.

Jenny

58658[/snapback]

I don't have a copy Jenny. I was looking at it online a few months ago, but didn't go for it in the end, as I wasn't sure of what it would be like. Now that you've recommended it, I'm quite tempted - thanks!

Communication - well I wish I could help - we have a meeting every half term - it's not enough I know but with all the other meetings we have to organise/attend - it's just about all we can do to get this one. We do however chat informally on a daily basis and reflect on the days session.

I am however carrying out my dissertation on communincation and have ordered a shed load of books on the subject - so over the next four months I should really know what I am doing!! - whether I will find time to communicate in the way I would like to - now there's another thing - but I am very keen on the whole subject of communication because its an area that has such a huge impact both from a negative/positive point of view across every single area within a nursery. I have covered the basic theory and models of communication but am going to really research it now as I find it fascinating. Anyway good luck, one of the things I clearly remember is that good communication is more about active listening and something like 60/70% (or something quite high) of communication should be based on listening skills. So whilst its fine to send memos etc, good two way communication is just as important, if not more so and so much more can be learnt

Nikki

Thanks Nikki. Good luck with all your studying. Any useful tips you pick up along the way would be greatly received!!!!

Shelley

Thanks Jenny - I ordered that book and it came today. I'm meant to be cleaning as I have a friend coming over to stay this weeknd, but instead I'm reading it. It's going to be very useful!

Shelley

Great Shelley, I htink it is good as it is easy to dip into and read what is relevant at the moment.

Hope you got your cleaning done and enjoyed your weekend :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)