Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Attainment On Entry

Hi all

I need a little advice my head has asked me to look at the SEF and give her the new percentage for attainment on entry into school. In the past we used Baseline assessment which was calculated in assessment manager. I have transition documents from nursery and we do our own version of a baseline but how do I calculate or obtain the percentage for attainment on entry (i.e. half the children are below the expectations on entry into school.) in order to gain an accurate figure. I know this is probably obvious but i need your help!!!!!!!

Thanks

Emma :o

Hi Emma Kate,

This is not very helpful - but I've got an even sillier question! How do you go about baseline assessment? Do you just make some regulated system eg. adopted from the footsteps and then 'tick' what children can or can't do?

Also what is the assessment manager?

Cheers

Skylight

This may help, there is info and guidance about on entry assessment here

Doesn't answer the percaentages query but that would just be a % of whatever children are at whatever assessment level you decide I suppose!

Cx

Thanks Catma,

It sort of states what I suspected, observation and a tick list to become imformed of children upon entry. Bit tricky when they are that young and in the midst of transition!

All the same, thankyou for the info.

Skylight

Baseline doesn't have to mean the minute they walk through the door. We categorise baseline as being within the first six weeks at nursery. We do as much as possible through observation then finish finding out with some games at the end of the six week period. We don't try to find out about everything from the stepping stones - just the selected highlights. The child's key worker fills in the PSE bits.

This may help, there is info and guidance about on entry assessment here

Doesn't answer the percaentages query but that would just be a % of whatever  children are at whatever assessment level you decide I suppose!

Cx

58409[/snapback]

Thanks for all your help and support it is very much appreciated.

Emma

Hi all

I need a little advice my head has asked me to look at the SEF and give her the new percentage for attainment on entry into school.  In the past we used Baseline assessment which was calculated in assessment manager.  I have transition documents from nursery and we do our own version of a baseline but how do I calculate or obtain the percentage for attainment on entry (i.e. half the children are below the expectations on entry into school.) in order to gain an accurate figure.  I know this is probably obvious but i need your help!!!!!!!

Thanks

Emma :o

58376[/snapback]

Yes, we do our own version of a baseline which we use to inform our planning. We also have transfer documents passed to us from nursery but these can vary from nursery to nursery. I also use the profile and mark attainment on entry but I feel I get so caught up in trying to assess the children and see where they are at that I miss out on the valuable time when starting school, just getting to know the children. Assessment manager is just a computer programme which the school uses to input assessments and then transfers to the LEA. It produces graphs, percentages, etc

thanks Emma xx

We are a FSU so its a little different our assessment begins when the children enter the unit (Tuesday after their 3rd birthday) and continues throughout their time in Foundation Stage. We previously assessed children in their first 6 weeks in Reception class and provided this data to our LA.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)