Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sandals, Flip-flops!

Could anyone enlighten me on the rules for flip-flop type open toe sandals, our supervisor has been told that Ofsted don't approve, in case of children stepping on the back of them and endangering staff and children, or toes being exposed is a safety issue?

Sorry if this is something that everyone is clear on, but if you don't ask??

Thankyou in anticipation of reply.

OOPS sansals?? sorry couldn't edit the title! :D:o

Edited by Guest

Do you mean for staff or children?

Our staff have to wear shoes with covered toes and the shoes have to be enclosed all the way round so no flipflops or mules.

As for the children, we try to encourage the parents to send in 'sensible' shoes that the children run and climb in but they don't always listen :o

Dont know of any formalised recommendations but footwear does need to be safe and sensible, just like any other item of clothing. If it impeeds natural movement then it is not safe, I would say.

For children, I dont think flip flops are safe and would prefer open-toe sandals are avoided at nursery too. (Ankle boots also make it more difficult for children to sit cross legged!)

I hadn't thought about this. We were inspected 2 weeks ago and due to the hot weather, I had open toe sandals on (mule type aswell) :o

The inspector didn't say anything.

Don't know what that means though!

Sue

hi we are informed by the committee that it is down to us what shoes we ware - they say closed shoes are sensible for safty, but i am sorry in hot weather i am prepared to take the risk (on my own back be it....) :D

hali,

that was our arguement to, however the director said that we could trip whilst carrying a child andshe would not allow them. some people chose to ignore this and guess what.......... someone fell over whilst holding a childs hand ( not carrying thank goodness) however they did take thechild down with them. To be honest don't think this can be soley blamed on footwear, it was an accident, but sometimes it is best to do all you can to protect yourself. Having said all that if i was given a choice I would probably opt for flip flops. Basically I don't know what I think :oxD

.............. i have got some very nice 'ballet' type shoes from new look though and there not too uncomfortable in the heat.

hi,

we have a NO open toe, sandal, flip flop type agreement between staff. years and years ago, when we used to have the old social service inspection, my inspector told me they were a health and safety issue.

must admit, i do agree, and ask staff not to wear them, i also have a NO shoes or boots with any kind of heels as well, Unless for medical reason for which would have to come with doctors certificate. haha

im leaving my group in july, so i bet my girls cant wait to get shot of me and my moaning!!

Yesterday I was wearing closed toe shoes and tripped over building blocks and spilt milk over a child!! Toys scattered around seem more dangerous that the footwear we wear!!

We had a visitor in that day as well.....wonder if she will choose our nursery!! :oxD

Felt a right idiot, the child was so sweet and told his mum when she collected him that "Mrs N spilt milk on me but I'm still her best friend" that made it all ok. :)

At my work we are advised not to wear open toed shoes, mainly because it will hurt much more if you get a wheelchair run over your toes, especially with one of my class having an electric one! Shame really as all my summer shoes are open toed mules so I'll have to live in my trainers for the summer as that's what most people wear.

I live in mule style shoes through the summer. I can see everyone's point, but I'm glad we don't have this rule in our nursery. That said, I do worry for my poor tootsies as the children are haring around on the bikes!

I agree with Ruthie about heeled shoes. I never wear heels at school, but my NN sometimes wears quite mean looking heeled boots, and whilst I've never said anything, and we've never had any related accidents (whilst I've been there, anyway) I do worry - especially for those fingers on the carpet ("Hands in laps!!!")

I have a rule because we are in a very big hall and I always say if a member of staff has to move quickly from one side to the other they are likely to fall in flip flops. Apart from the fact that if something falls on their toes, it will hurt. We try to encourage our children to wear "sensible shoes" as some of the childrens sandals very dangerous especially outside when running around. our knee scraping rate seems to double in the summer with open toed shoes. xD:o

We haven't got a ruling on this at my pre-school but a couple of years ago a member of staff twisted her foot on an uneven piece of ground in the garden and broke her foot :o . She was wearing open toed mules at the time. She totally blamed the pre-school garden rather than her foot wear for her accident but if she had been wearing sensible shoes it probably wouldn't have happened. I have worn mules to pre-school but accept the consequences if anything happens.

Guest MaryEMac

We don't have any policy in our group regarding footwear. Must admit that as soon as the weather warms up I get out my sandals, they are flat and have ankle straps and are so comfortable. Most of my staff also wear flat sandals so I think that we will take the consequences. I am more concerned when parents send their daughters in flip flops, sooo dangerous when climbingand running.

Mary

I have advised my staff not to wear open toed shoes or flip flops for their own safety as well as the childrens, mainly for all the reasons that others have already suggested, also though their is a big safety issue when it comes to the toilets!! If you have a cut on your toe and bacteria gets into it from the toilets you can catch a very nastey disease (I forget the medical name for it), I know that this is very unlikely but the staff must be made aware of this. I have set up a risk assessment on wearing open toed shoes (geeky I know) but it then covers me! If the staff choose to where open toed shoes or flip flops and injure themselves or a child I am then covered by the risk assessment so their is no chance of them sueing me, basically on their on back be it... :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)