Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stranger Danger

i would welcome some opinions and and suggestions about this. I run a Pre-School setting

As part of NVQ 2, two of my staff have been asked to do an activity (one each) about the dangers of talking to strangers.

I am not comfortable with this and neither are they.

We follow ELGS about saftey, in general ie. staying with mum, not running off, but I feel it would be very easy to frighten these young children.

Also I think it would be something we would have to discuss with parents.

Your comments would be very welcome

Glen

I can appreciate why you feel like this but it is also quite important, isnt it, that children are taught to say "NO"?

I've always used the stories of Goldilocks and Red Riding Hood to cover this sorts of issues, although with Reception.

Not sure what activities you could do apart from some puppet or small world senarios?

I agree that the use of stories is a good option, as is the use of puppets. The indirect approach is probably the safer option and one which your staff will feel more comfortable with.

They could relate it back to what they do when they are out on walks, etc, and how they keep safe.

Shelley

Hi - why not get in touch with your local police - they should have a community police oficer who will visit, along with story book to read to the children and maybe a puppet. We did this last half term, and the subject of stranger danger was covered in a fun way, yet sensitively enough that the children could understand the message. Our Police officer spent some time first playing amongst the children and doing 'party tricks' with his helmet - he brought lots of hats and clothes for the children to try on, and then when they were comfortable with his presence he delivered the 'story'.

We use our local Beat officer who comes and does a special video they have for young children feature a think bubble who tells the children to be carefull and say no to strangers. He makes it fun brings police uniforms for them to try on. coming from a police officer who also tells them that the police are nice and there to help them and not take "naughty" children away, is also a benefit. Its amazing how many adults still tell children that the policeman will come and take them away if they are naughty. Sometimes they also bring the Paddy wagon and let the children climb all over it. Its good for the children to get to know who is good and who is bad. better coming from a higher authority than just their teachers.

I completley appreciate that stranger danger needs to be addressed but I sometimes think that while it's an important issue, children shouldnt be afraid to approach a stranger if they are lost in a shop or at the park etc, or just need to talk to someone they dont know. I presume the police will address this issue sensibly but I think the most important thing we can tell our children is that if someone does something or asks them to do something they dont like they have the right to say 'no'. I've heard nursery staff say to children ' dont say no to an adult when they've asked you to do something' I know and fully understand their reasons but I do think we as adults have a responsibilty to be careful how we word things. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)