Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics

My phonics teaching is boring me to tears so i can only imagine what my poor children are feeling. :o

I have covered all the 42 sounds and still need to work on blending and segmenting with the children but I am fed up of the same activities.

I always start the session by revising the sounds previously taught and try to make this fun by using the sand timer some times. We also sing the jolly songs cd. I then tend to either focus on blending or segmenting. Would love to hear what others are doing. What activities do your children love to do?

I'd look at Playing with Sounds too. It's quite good to dip into and has some fun ideas. The BBC website has some cvc blending/segmenting games on Words and pictures which might be useful.

Thanks for the link SmileyPR - haven't downloaded, but the contents page looks good.

Harricroft

yeah I'd definately try and look for something ICT based... that always grabs their attention.

I use Foundations In Literacy - All Day to Play... has loads and loads on (sound games, tongue twisters, nonsense nusery rhymes, phonics games, CVC games etc etc) and the children love it - they even go back and put it on themselves in their freetime.

the other things I use are 'Storybook Phonics' which are animated stories and then at the end of each story there are 2 phonics / owrd play games to play... they are great for this time of year, in the Autumn term we used to skip the games as they were a bit hard but now the children ask to just play the games and skip the storY :o anyway there are 3 CDs ingeniously titled Storybook Phonics One, Storybook Phonics Two and Storybook Phonics Three xD - think they might be by Cambridge Learning or something like that - anyhow if your interested I can let you know more.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)