Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School Web Sites

Marion

I am currently re- making our school web site (explains why Ive been quiet :o ) and including links to other schools. If anyone would like their school site to be included could you let me know? :)

Edited by Marion

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Marion

I thought you had been quiet.Let us know when you have finished I'd love to take a look

Tinkerbellx

It's very much a work in progress (not getting any ideas from the other Key Stages so its top heavy on FS stuff) hopefully the on going work will be on line next week in some form or another :o

I would love to be included. It is my summer mission this year as we have 9 weeks (yes 9 weeks) off - our region is coming in line with the rest of the country. I have just finished my level 3 web design course and I can't wait to get it all together. We have a temporary web site at the moment. So if I can let you know in a couple of months and I will add a link on mine to yours if you want

Sue

Hi everyone!

Been dicussing transition from preschool to primary and inadvertantly strayed onto ideas of assiting through the web. Anyone interested take a look at last post in proffessional issues etc.

Would love to set up a school web site, but feel I would need a little training in ITC first. Being an NQT this is probrably not top of my list at the moment ... but there is soooooo much I dearly would love to do in the due course of things.

Linked the school web site, nicely designed and easy to use. What do you think about their displays?

All the best

Skylight

Hi everyone!

Been dicussing transition from preschool to primary and inadvertantly strayed onto ideas of assiting through the web. Anyone interested take a look at last post in proffessional issues etc.

Would love to set up a school web site, but feel I would need a little training in ITC first. Being an NQT this is probrably not top of my list at the moment ... but there is soooooo much I dearly would love to do in the due course of things.

ASKP - Links the school web site... nicely designed and easy to use. Looks really colourful etc. What do you think about their displays?

All the best

Skylight

Hi Skylight

Have just taken another look at the displays (haven't visited the site for a while) - they could be more child-centred, couldn't they? Looks like lots of adult input. Anyway, who am I to judge - I don't work in nursery!

If you look at the home page I think you will find a link to a free site for designing your own web site - don't think you would need lots of ICT experience, just time... :D Maybe worth a look?

hello ASPK !

Will look into it! Think the site is of excellant design etc... but I come from an art b/ground and when looking at displays can't help asking myself who they are serving? It takes guts to keep things honest, but it sure pays off in the long run.

ps. If you call yourself an educational practitioner you must be in the arena to 'judge'. Don't like that word personally, but think a lot of value comes from reflecting and sharing each others practice for the better ... if you know what I mean.

Hi Skylight,

I know what you mean :D I like to think of myself as here to learn and here to support others. Criticism is easy but I am not a nursery practitioner and practicalities will not be the same as those in my Reception class.

Hi Skylight,

I know what you mean  :D  I like to think of myself as here to learn and here to support others. Criticism is easy but I am not a nursery practitioner and practicalities will not be the same as those in my Reception class.

58194[/snapback]

But that is exactly my point! To have freedom and restrict the creativity that florishes in EY ..... doesn't really matter if you are based in nursery settings or school. The creativity comes from the faciliator and the use of time in accordance to inflicting outside obligations. Or is that being idealistic?

Cannot really comment on practicalities involved in websites

(are you kidding!!!!!! :o:(xD:( - I am downright dangerous with computers if left to my own devices!!!!! :( )

however, I must agree with you, skylight regarding conflicting interests!

Sue

(are you kidding!!!!!! :o  :(  xD  :(  - I am downright dangerous with computers if left to my own devices!!!!! :( )

Sue

58223[/snapback]

Sue its quite easy honest :) Not much different from word or publisher.

Display Personally I prefer to see the children's own work displayed but some of that on the web site seems to be resourced based for adult prompts rather than sharing good work.

We were adviced to stop frieze type displays, stop double mounting and use children's work as 'instant' display. Visitors either hate or loath it (not neat and 'perfect') but its a celebration of what the children have done that day and as such raises their self esteem.

(are you kidding!!!!!! :o  :(  xD  :(  - I am downright dangerous with computers if left to my own devices!!!!! :( )

Sue

58223[/snapback]

Sue its quite easy honest :) Not much different from word or publisher.

Display 'Personally' I prefer to see the children's own work displayed but some of that on the web site seems to be resource based for adult prompts rather than sharing good work. xD

We were adviced to stop frieze type displays, stop double mounting and use children's work as 'instant' display. Visitors either hate or loath it (not neat and 'perfect') but its a celebration of what the children have done that day and as such raises their self esteem.

Some of our tidier displays :wacko:

post-4544-1149617019_thumb.jpg

post-4544-1149617058_thumb.jpg

post-4544-1149617171_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Seemed to have missed these last postings.......

It is a subject dear to my hart and I totally empathise with the outside pressures to have perfect displays and peoples perception of what that means at large. As EY practitioners we know what that means and how wonderful children's creativity is. Usually firmly routed in the process and not necessarily in the end product. A child can take a journey of painting a farm, for example and tell a story of all the animals and landscape. Discover colours and sensory experiances whilst displaying language development and verbal expression. Then they can reach the end and it is nighttime, painting over the whole piece with black. At which point do we, as practitioners wipp the work away 'before they ruin it'!

I love large scale kinasthetic art, large rolls of paper and lots of big messy mark making/ exploration. The motor and cordination skills are used with a real sensory experiance. These can work really well for background wallpaper for displays.

I am now in a school where the displays are beautiful, perfect, neat and tidy ............. and incrediable boring, dull and uninspiring. I'm pretty sure the children have very little regard for them and at best the ones used are inter-active teaching aids pre-parpared by adults. I think the question lies in to whom they are serving and what are they celebrating. What is their purpose?

I hope to change this over time and I do have some info. that may help others with either confidence or more formal references to back them up. As sept (when I begin teaching) I will post some of the work/ activities children have done with me - to see if it either helps and inspires. I think it is important that children get opportunities to compile group and individual work, that is very child led.

I'll probrably accompany this with frustrations met along the way from outside influences and invite opinions from you all!

One last thing is the use of sketchbooks. Does anyone use these in Reception and if so how do you use them?

I think this might have to go onto another link, but not quite sure how to do this.

Marion, thanks for sharing the pics. I agree with what you have said.

Skylight

Just a quick one (!)

If you follow this link (Sanday Nursery) to the page of the bear hunt - there is a power point display of a course of work with fantastic learning, artwork & displays.

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/earlyyearsmat...mages/eymatters

If it doesn't work (useless at these things) search for Sanday nursery + scotland and follow your nose!

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/earlyyearsmat...tcm4-282743.pdf

• 2 months later...

WOW, Marion, very impressed. I can see why you have been a little absent on the forum, (unbeknown to you I used to look at the 'top 10 poster' for the day to see if I had done as many as you :D )

I've only had a quick look but 1st impressions is that the site shows clearly the schools warm, child centred ethos and really interesting, 'different' experiences for the children. It looks like a lot of FUN to be at your school.

I shall definately spend more time later having a good look. :D

I have thought, as you know, of developing a website, one of my fears is keeping it up to date. Maybe in the future you could let us know how much time it takes to maintain a website (obviously depends on the amount of info in it) and how it impacts on parents and children, staff and other users.

Peggy

Lovely site Marion, I love the foundation stage activities going on - especially the budding rock star :D

Will keep returning to it and well done!

Megsmum

WOW, Marion, very impressed. I can see why you have been a little absent on the forum, (unbeknown to you I used to look at the 'top 10 poster' for the day to see if I had done as many as you :D )

Peggy

Snap Peggy xD Beat you today for a change :(

Once Ive got the site complete (waiting for other classes to contribute) I think it will be quite simple to update and shouldnt take long. I made an earlier version of the website but we changed service providers and they original providers froze the website so i decided to completely rebuild.

Ive had alot of interest from parents already so next job is getting up to date :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)