Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Books For Children Starting Nursey

Hi,

I'm currently organising home visits for my September intake of Nursery Age Children. I have some funding to buy a book for each child.

Does anyone know any good picture books about starting school?(preferably with a diverse range of children in it)

Cheers :)

I like "The Gotcha Smile" about a little (black) girl's difficult first day at school and how her lovely grandfather helps her to turn things around with a smile.

Rita Phillips Mitchell

Orchard Picturebooks

Illustrated by Alex Ayliffe

Good luck

Ade

Thanks for the help- Like the smile book (forgot about that one).

Sorry I put my message in the wrong area everyone. I am new, unsettled and a little unsure.....hope mummy's comming back soon.

:o

I think osbourne? usbourne? do a book about starting school, i'm sure someone will know what i'm talking about. :o

Cant help with the books I'm afraid, just wanted to say 'hello' to Tim. It's always a bit daunting making a first post, here's a cuddle and a cold compress till mummy arrives. :o:D:D

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum!

I bought a set of 5 first experiences books such as going to the doctor, moving house, a new baby, giong to school and going to a party. They are really nice. I got them quite cheap as a set from Books for Children.

You can find the link to the Usbourne First Experiences (Going to School) page by clicking here!

Hope this helps!

Here is the Books for Children link:

Books for Children

I think my set worked out to about £3 when you join up as a new member. :D

You will need to type 'going to school' into the search box at the top of the page, because for some reason, when I double checked, it didn't come up straight away :o !

Edited by Clare

I tried desparately to reply yesterday but there seemed to be something wrong with the technology. I turned on the computer just now and my teenager said, 'by the way, I've put new batteries in the keyboard cos it wouldn't work!'..... Der, why didn't I think of that?!

Anyway. I hope this was worth the wait...

As a Christian pre-school we use the Scripture Union book called 'Get ready, Go!' (isbn 1-84427-132-3). (£10 for 5 copies).

The format is cartoon style and loosely reflects other cultures and disabilities. The main booklet is for the child and can be personalised and has bits to draw in, like a ball to play with at playtime, colouring, things to find etc. Then slotted into a pocket at the back is a booklet for the parent/carer which is very practical & has good advice, firstly from the school perspective: eg choosing a school, what to look for, open days & visits, is there a transition from pre-school to school, working together with the teachers, contributing to the life of the school (PTA), safety, meals & lunchtimes, assembly. Then it moves on to considering the child's perspective: signs of anxiety about school with practical advice, journeys to schol, going home, skills for school, tiredness, breaktimes, and there are also photos of families & real life comments & hints.. The last bit is 'through the eyes of the parent' & talks sensitively about letting go, the first day & concludes with a simple prayer. The majority of our parents are not Christian but these books always go down well, I've had no negative comments.

A trip to the Christian bookshop in your locality is worth a go if you want a look before you buy but I certainly recommend this.

Oh!! Tim,

Sorry I missed you !

Been away - no excuse, I know, but hello and welcome!! I would endorse the recommendation for 'The Gotcha Smile' - it's brilliant!!!

Sue :D:D

• 2 months later...

There's also "Starting school" by Janet and Alan Ahlberg.We bought a copy for each of our leavers, most bookshops will give you 10% discount as long as you can prove you're from a school/nursery/preschool/registered childminder

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)