Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Changes

How often do you move staff so that they are based in a different room? How well does this go down?

In my nursery the staff are deployed really badly. Room decisions have not been made depending on skills, experiences and strengths, but instead they've been made on "who wants to where?". Therefore, all the staff are based in the room of their choice, and staff strengths are being wasted, and some rooms are suffering badly because of it.

I've pretty much made up my mind as to what changes to make, but know that I'm going to have some unhappy team members for a while.

Any advice?

Suggest to them that were they to move around they can feedback to other collegues about the pros and cons of their group, room, routines etc. It's sometimes good to have another point of view from someone else, they can pick up on things which have been overlooked merely because we can get stale if we stay put too long. Then lay the law down :o

Hi Shelley

Are you in a day nursery? I know staff can get a bit entrenched in a particular room in some nurseries and don't like to move.

In our pre-school staff rotate on a daily basis through the three rooms we have-and really like this. It means they all get the opportunity to have a go at the activities. It also means that if a child is attached to one particular member of staff, and don't want to leave their side especially when they first start, they also get the opportunity to experience all that is going on.

Why don't you get staff to do a strengths and weaknesses assessment of themselves and look at them at a staff meeting? They might then be able to see that changes need to be made and make suggestions themselves.

Linda

Thanks Linda. Your pre-school sounds like a lovely place to work - yes I am in a Day Nursery.

I've been doing supervisions and collating a list of staff skills, strengths and experiences, etc. I've also had a lady in from the EYDCP, and have chatted through things with her, so more ammunition!

I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks again.

hi,

I too work in a Day nursery and have had many problems with the deployment of staff. I have spent ages trying to keep people happy, and in the end have come to the conclusion that staff are contracted to work in the nursery not a particular room I know it sounds harsh but at the end of the day you have to do whats best for the children. You can put it to thestaff in a positive way e.g I really want you to work here because you have this to offer. 9 times out of 10 flattery will get you everywhere.

Good luck :o:D

hi,

I too work in a Day nursery and have had many problems with the deployment of staff.  I have spent ages trying to keep people happy, and in the end have come to the conclusion that staff are contracted to work in the nursery not a particular room I know it sounds harsh but at the end of the day you have to do whats best for the children.  You can put it to thestaff in a positive way e.g I really want you to work here because you have this to offer. 9 times out of 10 flattery will get you everywhere.

Good luck  :o  :D

57773[/snapback]

Thanks Rapunzel - I'll try flattery, along with laying down the law, and a few other tactics!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Flattery didn't work!! In fact the whole thing went down like a very large lead balloon with 1 member of staff (tears, tantrums....!). On the other hand, the other nursery nurse is over the moon.

Obviously we all want to have happy staff. I think that's the main part of the problem - the last manager was more of a friend to everyone, and let them choose where they wanted to work, regardless of strengths and training, etc.

At the end of the day, it's all for the good of the nursery and the children - and I can't wait to see the improvements it will bring.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update - the changes have been brill!

One room in the nursery was particularly poor, and was a real weakness to the nursery in a number of ways. It would have required me having to do a lot of work in there myself.

It now has a team who in a week and a half have completely turned things round, and have more things up their sleeves. The whole atmosphere in the room is so much more calming also, whereas before I didn't even like going in there.

The knock on effect hasn't been to bad on the other room. The existing team are so strong that they'll support the change well.

Good news at last!