Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Does Anybody Know This Game?

Hi all

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I have seen a game used with nursery children many moons ago! It is called Mrs Bear's Honeypot but there are probably other variations out there. It is something to do with having to 'steal' a bunch of keys (or other suitably jingly item) from 'mrs Bear', then she has to guess who did it, but I can't remember exactly!

I would love to use it in a music lesson I am planning for my next teaching practice (start of June). Hope someone knows what I'm on about!!

Lucy

xxx

Also another variation

Children in circle. "Bear" in the middle with honey(Keys or other instrument) Children all say

"Isn't it funny how a bear likes honey. I wonder why she does? Buzz buzz buzz. Go to sleep mr Bear." (we usually say this - don't knowa tune for it)

Choose child to steal the honey and others shout

"Wake up Mr Bear!"

Stealing child is chased around outside of circle an back to place. They then become the bear.

Needs a lot of space but children love it!

Sue

This is our version:

Mrs or Mr Bear lie down in the middle of the circle with eyes shut. They have their honey pot (usually a musical instrument, eg bells) next to them. Everyone chants

Isn't it funny how a bear likes honey

Buzz, buzz, buzz, I wonder why he does.

While chanting, the teacher points to a child in the circle who has to go into the centre of the circle to grap the honey. They return to their place and hide the honey behind their back. Everyone else puts their hands behind their back and shouts

Wake up Mrs/Mr Bear. We all pretend to shake.

The bear sits up and has to listen to where the sound is coming fromand guess who has the "honey".

We sing the 'Isn't it funny how a bear likes honey?' too, and another version is to have the Bear sit in the centre with two or three instruments with contrasting and easily identifiable sounds behind them and eyes closed, as a card with a 'mask' (of the Lone ranger variety) drawn on it is passed around the circle while everyone sings to the tune 'Oats and Beans and Barley Grows'

Mr/s Bear lives in a cave, Mr/s Bear lives in a cave

Now who will dare, now who will dare

To steal a sound from Mr/s Bear?

the child who is left holding the card at the end of the song then creeps to play one of the instruments and the Bear has to identify which instrument has been played. Our children love this game!

here is a link to the SEAL materials on the dfes website. There is one for each year group from F1 to Y6 the intention being that the whole school follow the same theme after an assembly to introduce.

The materials are really good.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)