Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Y1 Topic Ideas

Hi there

I will be teaching Y1 in September with the job of implementing our transition policy/plan. Because of the changes that will come with this I've been asked to dream up some topics for Y1 to cover over the year. (Our head is very keen on FS approach to learning through Y1 & pushing for it to be introduced into Y2). I've looked at QCA schemes for Y1 from the standards site and have been trying to link the subjects together with the Science topics as the main thread (Science very high on SDP), but have come to a stand still as can't make it all fit (nothing ever does that easily!). Juat wondered if anyone had a 'topic' approach in Y1 and would be willing to share their ideas/practice. If anyone is prepared to take a look and help me out, I've hopefully attached the main subjects that I'm trying to link together into topics (1 per term).

Thanks in anticipation.

p.s. should add at the moment subject co-ords provide planning for each class for their subject, so I'm trying to piece together the jigsaw so I can tell them what I want to do.

QCA_Schemes_of_Work_Y1_topics.doc

Having taught reception for a few years before having mixed R/Y1 this year I have found it very difficult to link the QCA units together. (It didn't seem so bad before I got into the more flexible topic based reception approach). we have decided (R/Y1 class and Y1/Y2 class) that we are going to go for a more complete topic based approach away from QCA tis September. It means that we need to get together to look at the NC programmes of study and decide which fits best with Y1 or Y2 coverage, and then plan topics using those learning objectives. I am sure it will be better that way round than trying to force the QCA units to link together - a few do, but not many!

Sorry Spam, I dont think Im going to be much help but I think Id start from the other end and decide on topics and then fit the units in but QCA schemes are not statutory, although they often mistakenly thought of being so. I guess using them makes the subject coordinators jobs possible if they are providing the planning. It was once suggested to me that in my role as literacy coordinator I should be planning for the school at which I threw wobbly!! Although as FS coord I planned topics for 3 classes!

For example you could include light and dark within a festivals type topic? Pushes and pulls within Transport? Growing in Spring? And the Ourselves topic is quite a nice one for the start of the year, but could be included within families or houses and homes? Or stand alone?

Have you looked at the Featherstone books, I think they have one callled "making it work in year 1" which could give you some pointers although not sure if it would help you with topics.

They also do a mixed age group teaching resource which has themes and QCA units in a 2 year cycle to ensure coverage.

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Spam

this is our KS1 two year rolling programme ,we have r/yr1 and yr1/yr2.All the science national curriculum objectives are covered each year.We thought this was important for year2 children.

This was written many years ago based on the national curriculum...the QCA stuff was popped in later.

I do adapt this to what my class needs I teach R/yr1 and so long as the science is covered and the objectives for each curriculum area covered the co-ordinators know we are giving a broad and balanced curriculum.

I have really played around with this as PSHCE has an important role etc

It may give you an idea

Tinkerbellx

Copy_of_KEY_STAGE_ONE_ROLLING_PROGRAMME_Revised.doc

Hi Spam

Our Y1 topics are:- Friends and family, Machines, Rhymes and stories, Animals and minibeasts, Plants, Places.

We make links to the topics where we can but we don't worry if some things don't link in.

Thank you for your replies, some wonderful ideas - and very helpful! I've given my suggestions to other colleagues and head - I'll wait to see what happens!

Thanks again!

Im completely with marie on this one. When I worked in eyar one last year we used the QCA only as a guide as quite frankly they dont always match the impritnat matters in the NC programmes of study and I think the science ones are the worst!! I alwasys insist that my trainee teachers match all their planning to the PoS because its relaly important to know what the chidlren should actually be learning. If science is big on your SDP, then you probabaly need to be looking at scientific enquiry as quite high as well as the specailists language children need to learn. You can for these to any topic you choose really.

I would also look cerefully at what FS does if they do topics, we were once criticised in an OFSTED for having N R and yr1 all doing 'ourselves' and on reflection this was a fair point, unless you can show a definate progression on what aspets of 'oursleves' you are covering.

Id also grab a copy of 'making it work in year one'!

• 5 years later...
Hi Spam

Our Y1 topics are:- Friends and family, Machines, Rhymes and stories, Animals and minibeasts, Plants, Places.

We make links to the topics where we can but we don't worry if some things don't link in.

Hi, this is my first time posting, so hope it gets to the correct place! We are trying to do a whole school topic around machines. There does not seem to be too much out there though. Would you mind sharing your KS1 planning on machinery please?

hello there Nikj1980, welcome to the forum, I see you have been around a whilst, so good to see you taking the plunge and saying hello.

This thread is quite an old one, and some members are no longer active here, so you would be waiting a long time for a response. You could start a new conversation around year one planning for machines, Im sure we have members who will have some ideas to share with you.

If you're not sure how to start a new topic, give us a shout and we can guide you through.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)