Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interactive Whiteboard Height

Hi,

I am having an interactive whiteboard fitted in my class at the end of the week - yipeeee!

I teach reception and was wondering if anyone is really happy with the height of their board, if so, could they let me know the measurement.

Do the children need to be able to reach the top or is it best that they don't in case you want to keep things hidden? I really want to get this right as I want all the children to be able to access it. However, if it's too low does it cause problems for the teacher? Any words of wisdom would be fantastic.

how exciting for you, have loads of fun wont you?

We had ours fitted in February and we had them put as low as possible. This has been great for the chidlren as they can reach all but the very top of the screen. It does mean more bending for the teacher, but unless I actually need to use the board to demonstarte I still pretty much control it from the laptop.

Id be interestd to hear what other have done though.

I think mine was 50 cm from the floor - which is an OK height for the children and for me - put a step underneath for the littlest children to reach

seems to work ok

Sarah

Hi

I have had a promethean board for nearly a year now and it's great. The only thing was I had to have it at a set height.

Luckily Promethean are bringing out 'wands' in the next few weeks so the children will be able to reach the top!!!

Guest flutter

Hi Matilda

We have just had one fitted in reception. The children can't reach the top half of the board. I think it has to be a standard height. We could choose where but weren't given a height option.

However as there is a little money left over a large wooden step (with storage drawers), created for this purpose, is being purchased.

The children really need to access the whole board but to do this it would probably be a health and safety issue for staff!!!

Hmmm, I think I get to choose the height. The man doing the measuring up seemed to think so anyway but it may be different on the day! Oh well, I can have my ideal height and see how near they can get to it.

Edited by Guest

if it is promethean that is fitting your board - according to the guy who came to move ours to a new room last week - they can go as low as 20 or 30 cm - however - this is quite low for Teachers to reach - we opted for a bit higher and have added the step - like the idea of the wands tho - think that this will let the littlest of little children reach the top

Sarah

We had our Smart Board fitted to be suitable for average height of the class. The smaller children use the soft end of a paint brush in order to reach.

we have a smart board and although i cant quite remember the height from the floor we had it as low as it would go. We also found that taking a measurement from the tallest Reception child to the shortest gave us a good idea where to place it. I got one of those bathroom booster steps from Ikea and the children use that if needed. We also introduced a bus stop system to make sure turns were being taken fairly.

Basically 5 children can play on the mat with the IWB at any given time. They wear a band to show this. There are 4 spot markers that the children sit on while one is at the IWB. They use a giant 3 minute sand timer to make it fair (not too long, not too short). When the time is up, the children move up the bus (along the spot markers until it is their turn).

If no one is waiting to come on then they can rejoin the bus.

We found that this has worked really well and it is pretty much self monitoring as they soon let you know if someone has 'jumped the queue' :o !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)