Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics Err

Hello

My school is thinking of taking on the Early Reading Research ERR approch to teaching phonics. I was wondering if anybody has used this and how they have got on with it in Reception?

I am vey interested to hear your feedback,

Thanks

Edited by Guest

Do you mean the early reading development pilot?

They have had a very positive outcome and the evaluations of the pilot are very string. Focusing on reception classes it has looked very closely at the factors that make phonics teaching effective and with consultant support has accelerated the attainment of children in the pilot quite a lot. A high percentage were working at step 5 in march when they did the last assessment. The findings of prepilot analysis was that many people "play" phonics games but that this lacked a systematic approach, that assessments were often not focused enough and that assumptions were made about skills so activities were not pitched accurately, that there wasn't enough focus on the actual teaching of skills and applying them. The pilot provides a model for developing a planned phonics session that is more focused and progressive.

Some LAs have ben asked to introduce the pilot materials in a few schools so this may be why you are doing it, if that's what it is you mean! When the pilot is fully reviewed the outcomes and materials will be published a s case studies and support materials I am told, but not yet so it's not worth looking for them if you aren't being asked to use them.

CX!

Thanks for the reply,

It sounds really interesting but I don't think it is what we are doing. ERR is an existing scheme, I think it has something to do with Warwick University?

ERR the reading recovery program I personally found quite tedious and some of our children did too. i am sure it has proven results but how we were shown to do it was very teacher intensive and very child unfriendly.

Like anything I am sure it works for some children if I was four i would repeat what the teacher said just to get her to stop and shut up!

This all sound really negative, sorry I :o am now going to read the link Marion posted for a more balanced view!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)