Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Children's Centre

Hi

Can anyone help?

Surestart have just given the go ahead for a new children's centre in our area.

We are the only preschool setting in the area. We have 45 children registered with us from age 2 to nearly 5. We run 10 sessions a week during term time only. We currently use a community building but it is likely to be sold soon.

We would like to be included in the children's centre and the headmaster at the local school is very supportive.

Does anyone have any similar experience, or advice?

thanks in advance :)

Pip

Hi Pip welcome to the forum

I am currently involved in the Extended schools committee for my area and there have been a number of consultation meetings and planning meetings to which all 'interested' arties have been involved. I represent our school as we look to be where the new Children's Centre will be located but there are also reps from all the local schools in the surrounding villages, Sure Start, Social Services, school nurses, Connextions, and a day nursery and pre school. 'suitable' partnerships have been identified by our LEA and a shortlist drawn up.

Not sure how other LEAs are working but maybe the head would have more details. We are in the next round of Children's Centres 2008 completion

Hi netpip, Sounds like exciting times ahead, although maybe all feeling a bit unsure with such a massive change happening, as marion says, speak to the head, at least they are open to working in partnership with you ( not like my local primary sch head :o ).

Just also like to welcome you to the forum, you will get lots of advice from people who have been through the process, as your new project evolves. Good luck.

Peggy

Hi Marion & Peggy

Thanks for your replies.

We have a meeting with the head next week, so we should find out more then.

We are all delighted as it will be such a boost for the area but we are also feeling a bit anxious at the moment, because we don't know what the children's centre will mean for our preschool.

thanks again

netpip

Hi netpip and welcome to the forum.

Get as involved as you can at these early stages-go along to as many meetings as you can and make all concerned aware that you are around and want to be involved. Be positive too-I know you have concerns about what may happen to your group but if you go in there with enthusaism and a positive outlook they are more likey to sit up and take notice of you.

The whole idea of children's centres is to involve existing provision as much as possible and not close down any already in the area. I know some will say that this doesn't always happen, and they're right, but if you make your presence known then yo have a better chance of being the person to provide the pre-school aspect.

Good luck

Linda

• 2 months later...
:o I am a private nursery owner but my local LEA have just advertised 3 senior nursery positions in these childrens centres along with 18 nursery nurse vacancies with a salary of £20895 for the senior posts. How on earth can a private individual compete with these sort of salaries and why would they stop with me when i just cannot go anywhere near these salaries. The idea of working together is fine but surely government should intervene and offer guidance for help with salaries instead of ploughing millions into new buildings when other nurseries are half full.

It's a good point to raise Shelia, and no doubt we all may have this kind of thing lurking in our midst, don't no what the answer is, maybe we all have to shout and scream and stamp our feet? :o

I believe that we are moving towards statutory / compulsory schooling for children aged from 3 yrs.

At the present time we only have to deliver the curriculum if we want to receive the education grant. We can still be registered with Ofsted under the care standards alone if we wish.

Look at the new EYFS and the legislation that encompasses it. The EYFS now incorporates the National Standards, therefore to be registered with Ofsted it will be compulsory for all providers, including childminders, to deliver the new curriculum. So if parents want childcare, they have no choice but to send their children to 'educational establishments', nothing else will be available for them.

Scary isn't it. :o

Peggy

:o I am a private nursery owner but my local LEA have just advertised 3 senior nursery positions in these childrens centres along with 18 nursery nurse vacancies with a salary of £20895 for the senior posts. How on earth can a private individual compete with these sort of salaries and why would they stop with me when i just cannot go anywhere near these salaries. The idea of working together is fine but surely government should intervene and offer guidance for help with salaries instead of ploughing millions into new buildings when other nurseries are half full.

Im assuming the wages are in line with what a Nursery Nurse would be paid working in a school where the ratio of adult to child is higher so not so many people are employed...........could this be the way things will move?

http://www.pat.org.uk/publications/downloa...p;Wsalary06.pdf

Edited by Marion

• 5 months later...

Hi

i managed a local private day nursery where a new children centre was been launched the local authority went out to tender for a private provider to run the day care side of the centre which i am pleased to say we got this works really well as a partnership between local authority and private providers. I would say express your interest and attend any meetings children centres are all about partnership and are not aiming to close private providers. Good Luck

Quite a few children's centres where I work have chosen to use exisiting providers to provide the full day care service, it's good that these partnerships are being formed. :)

How can that level of salary be sustainable? PVI's are being forced to provide free nursery education for a very low rate which effectively pegs wages. Children's centre funding must be higher despite declarations that it is not. Am I confused - yes!

I think sustainability is going to become a big issue for children's centres nationwide - in my part of the country, from what I've heard, none of the nurseries in children's centres are breaking even, not even the ones that are almost at 100% capacity. And many children's centres are seeing big cuts in their budgets this year......

Edited by Wolfie

• 4 weeks later...

I manage the childcare for our local children centre. Mine is on a split site 0-3's at the sure start centre and 3-5's in the local primary foundation unit. Sustainability!!!! they having a laugh. There are centres in the surrounding villages but i must admit they are not as far on as we are. Our childcare is established now so it is a slight bonus. My occupancy is very good but that is due to the number of 2 yr olds i have in accessing the pilot scheme.

When they first talked about our childcare there was a provider seemed interested but they sort of changed their goal posts and decided they prefered the schools to set up companies limited by guarantee to deliver the service.

Our school wasn't keen on the third party provider in with them so ours is a co.ltd.

We received a start up grant and free rent and utilities until March 2008 but after that who knows.

I can only hope to generate enough interest to keep us afloat.

we're finding sustainability a problem too. We have two separate companies providing day care on site - divided between 0-2's and 2+s but then the school take the children in the term after they are three. A lot of our parents in the local area can't afford childcare so don't access it. Our under 2's manager said there is no way it will be sustainable because of ratios, staff wages etc. These children's centres are fantastic in principle but I'd like to get out a crystal ball!

As always posts on this subject are fascinating. Childrens centres have damaged other providers by being able to offer higher wages and low fees because of start up grants. I am really sorry but I cannot feel sorry for centres now realising that they will not be sustainable once they are on level terms with everyone else. The whole funding ststem across early years just seems fragmented and flawed. I am in a pathfinder county for extended hours starting from April. Additional funding is there for the start up year but after that........ I have been in child care for many years, have just got an outstanding ofsted but feel fairly pessimistic about how early years seem to be having lots of quick, publicity seeking initiatives. I could go on but it is very early!!! ( Sorry to all of you who work in childrens centres - I am not having a go at you just the system)

Me too Chill!!!

I deliver childcare as part of a Children Centre but they dont pay my wages(shame).

The idea of making affordable accessable childcare to more is a good idea but the people in the area do have to want to actually return to work(unless the governement plan to stop all benefits and make them).

Before we set up there wasn't even a childminder in our village so can understand the need, there was a private provider (5-11yrs) out of school club but nothing for the younger ones.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what graduated childrens centres offer?

Our local LA has approached our landlord (we meet in a community centre) to turn the hall into a graduated childrens centre.

we have been now been invited by the LA to come in for a chat next week to find out more.

Has anyone any experience of what happens when a childrens centre is set up in your hall - I am obviously nervous about what may be expected of us as we are a 26 place session pre-school running 5 sessions a week.

The meeting next week will obviously give me more info but I would like to go in with a little knowledge - so any experiences would be great.

thank You

The nursery I used to manager was attached to a children's centre. The fees covered only the cost of the staff wages, and nothing else at all!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)