Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dyspraxia

Has anyone any experience of dyspraxia? I have a 5 year old who is very bright - will read anything etc but rushes everywhere spills his dinner doesn`t like to go on 2 wheeler because he says he can`t ride it, writing is chronic but pencil control is good. His pencil can`t keep up with his brain and consequently he doesn`t like writing. I don`t know if he is a typical boy or there is something not quite right. SEN co-ord mentioned dyspraxia and that I spoke to mum. I don`t want to jump in with 2 feet so I thought I would discuss pencil control with mum and give him some exercises. I know he walked early etc and that some dyspraxic children do things later. He is so competitive he wants to be first at everything and at the back of my mind I would like to think this is why his work is a mess etc because he can`t wait to do the next thing. I have moved him onto next level of reading book and this has changed him - he is enjoying the stories not rushing through the books and his reading has slowed down instead of turning pages over in about 2 seconds. Any advice or suggestions - just want to be careful with parent because she is wonderful and just so supportive. Thanks

Last year I had 2 rising 5,s in my pre-school that had very poor balance skills and they showed no interest in writing their name. These 2 boys have been diagnosed as dispraxic.

I know how you feel Gwen not wanting to cause extra unneccessary worry to the Mum if it is just a "boy thing" but at least you have the mum on your side.

Hi Gwen -

There was a conversatione quite recently about dyspraxia which discussed a number of possible signs - you can find it here just to get you kicked off, although I'm sure others will come along and help you with your particular child! :)

Hi Gwen -

There was a conversatione quite recently about dyspraxia which discussed a number of possible signs - you can find it here just to get you kicked off, although I'm sure others will come along and help you with your particular child!  :)

56277[/snapback]

Thanks Steve

I feel it might be good to be cautious here re thinking about dyspraxia. Both riding 2 wheelers and writing your name are quite tricky skills and it is well within the normal range not to manage them at 5. My son didn't ride a bike till he was 8, partly because he always likes to feel in control of things. He also had (has) appalling handwriting, but is not dyspraxic. With or without dignosis, most 5 year olds would probably benefit from doing simple exercises and having lots of opportunity to practice hand eye coordination in the classroom. :)

In my area there is a great reluctance to 'label' children as dyspraxic at a young age and there are so many variations in difficulty (my son IS dyspraxic but rode a two wheeler by age 3) so agree best to be cautious. Exercise like Brain Gym and SAQ benefit all children also the Write Dance program.

Thanks for all your thoughts - decided I am really going to observe him this week and talk to him about how he feels about certain activities. Can someone put a direct link for the brain gym exercises on the Norfolk Site - I can`t find them. Thanks again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)