Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baby On Board Stickers In Cars...

Running Bunny

Moan warning!!!

I can fully understand the purpose if they are to warn the emergency services in the event of an accident. BUT WHY NOT JUST PUT THEM IN WHEN THE CHILD IS ACTUALLY IN CAR? My sister is in the police and has wasted time before looking for a child after an accident - the car was overturned in a ditch,the driver was unconscious and in the back was a car seat, baby toys, a dummy and a smashed window... 2 hours later they found that baby was at grandma's...

I can also understand their purpose as a 'polite' warning to following drivers to keep a safe distance to avoid any accidents BUT I will only respect these drivers if they keep to the highway code too...

TWICE tonight, I was overtaken by female drivers with these stickers in their cars. It was a 40mph zone, which I was doing and they both overtook me approaching a bend at somewhere I would guess between 50 and 55mph.

When I caught up with them at the roundabout, I could see that htey both had car seats in the car, but couldn't see if there was any children in the car. Hopefully there wasn't...

Rant over - thanks for listening!

interesting point running bunny,

I have a sign in my car not quite baby on board, but it says 'liitle princess on board!' (could be refering to driver,. lol but its not! :o )

I have it because my sister is sometimes in my car with me, to be honest i hadn't given it a second thought about keeping the sign in the car whilst my sister was not in it. (something to think about, as i most certanly would not like emergency services wasting their time looking for my sister if she was not even in the car)

However, i fear that i would forget to put it back in the car whilst she was travelling with me... as im a scatterbrain lol.

i think the whole idea behind them as you rightly said is to warn emergency services that a child is in the car, also i guess they are useful for other drivers as a 'stay back' warning or 'driver may be distracted warning' (although i always try my best not to get distracted by my sister whilst driving)... however often other drivers take no darned notice of the stickers anyway.

hmmm car drivers today!!!!

Dawn

Thanks for your thoughts...

I do keep a safe distance when I see drivers with these in their cars - just to be on the safe side and think that they are a good 'warning' that other things may be happening in the car (and if it's anything like when my li'l sis was younger - it wasn't pretty!!! LOL :D )

I can also begin to understand (having no children myself yet!) that the sticker is probably the last thing on your mind as you are packing up a car full of children and child-related paraphenalia (sp?!)

Similar thing applies to 'L' plates on cars and the cars are on the motorway, which when I took my test was illegal!!

What a fab idea Hali, i think you should patient (sp?) it (is that even the word i mean to use lol :o

Basically you should make a sign like the one you describe.... you could make millions LOL

what a good point running bunny had never thought about that, maybe someone could produce some new signs with onboard or at home at the bottom of them..... xD

56393[/snapback]

I too find these signs bemusing. Surely we should be a safe distance from the car in front whether they have a child, a baby, a princess or whatever in them? I was taught to keep a good space between me and the other car so that I could stop safely-no need to have a sign in that case.

And if it is for the purpose of warning emergency services then they need to be taken out if the child isn't travelling or not used at all.

Linda

I know why we have baby on board stickers.....its so that we can come online and say whats the point???

where would this topic be with out them?

well any way I remember the day I took my daughter home from the hospital..... our new born baby we were sooooo worried about driving with her in the car, my husband who normally drives like a rally driver (not a boy racer) drove at 20mph all the way home from the hospital and he nearly crashed the car that many times because he is not use to driving so slowly and carefully and it took a while for him to get use to driving with a baby in the car

we felt the sticker warns others that we are driving slowly and carefully for a reason, instead of the typical "just over the speed limit" and going over traffic lights as soon as they are amber.

drivers get so fustrated when they get stuck behind people who are driving exactly to the speed limit how many times do people pull out on caravans, tractors, Learner drivers for fear of beeing stuck behind a slow vehicle.

I can kind of see some reason for the stickers but how about hard hats. Why do people who have one put it in back window of their car? What really is the point of that?? :o