Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Out Of A Job

Hi.

I have come home early from work today as I have just been informed that my job will soon be no more... Our numbers are going to drop considerably in June/July when the majority of our children head off to school, apparently there are no children to fill the places and so the pre-school is going to close. My manager has said that she has had enough of the whole business and as she has other 'projects' taking up her time, she feels she has no option but to close down the pre-school.

I feel really down about the whole thing, as we managed to sort out our differences and our working relationship seemed to be better than ever. I suppose I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself, as the manager's job fit in so well with my daughter and with my home life. It was my first manager's job and I doubt very much that I will be fortunate to find a job as accommodating as this one. I feel like it's a bit of a slap in the face to be honest, after all the hours I have put in to try and make it a successful pre-school.

I feel sad for my daughter too, who enjoys going to the pre-school and has made some friends. I feel that this is all being taken away from her and there is nothing I can do to stop it.

I have thought about taking on the pre-school myself, but I think that will mean that I get no home/baby time and the whole idea of taking the job, was so that it fit in with both. I also haven't received all my training in the role so feel that I will be inexperienced, particularly to take it all on myself.

One thing that I am concerned about, however, is the fact that I am due to start the Foundation Degree in October and in order to do that, I need to be working, preferably in a senior role. I'm concerned that with this latest development, I will be unable to join the course. I'm not keen to speak to the college in case they tell me I can't take part. I was thinking of finding another job and mentioning that I had changed jobs, nearer the time. Obviously I don't want to ruin my chances of being able to do the degree. I've waited a long time to do these things and now I'm really upset that all that could be taken away, as it is out of my control.

I was thinking of having a little break from childcare, to recharge my batteries and then thinking of going back in a couple of months, once I have spent some quality time with the baby and also got my house into some sort of order! The place badly needs decorating, so I was thinking of taking time out to get these things done before returning to work.

Anyway, I feel slightly better for my mini-moan and any ideas on my predicament would be great! :D

Thanks

Clare what a horrid situation!! Big sympathies to you.

I think you need to give it all a bit more thought, it's early days, I may be in a similar situation to you - I haven't found out if I have a place on the FD yet, but my job could be in jeopardy! I, like you was going to keep quiet for the time being and keep half an eye on jobs for September, but like yourself, commitments- with a house and five children to juggle my job at the moment fit's in perfectly.

I think spending time with your daughter sounds a priority, we try to do everything don't we? The house decorating will always want doing, even when you finish you have to start again in the first place you started, you have the rest of your life for decorating, I wouldn't add that to your priorities,

lots of good advice is on it's way from everyone here, it will help the process for you to work out what to do next - Good luck, have a wine and chocolate themed weekend to cheer you up,

hugs to you

XX

Edited by Guest

oh dear that is bad news. On the bright side though you do not need to be in a senior position for the FD we have a childminder and play workers on ours, so as long as you can be in a setting of some kind you will still be able to do it. :D hope it all works out for you. :D

Edited by hali

Clare, I'm really sorry to hear your news, and sorry that yet another preschool has had to close.

I agree with taking your time, have a break, enjoy the sun and look forward to a new future.

Peggy

Thanks Shirel, Hali and Peggy.

Still feeling a bit downhearted but I know it's not the end of the world! I'm pretty sure I'll find another job and its good to know that I don't necessarily need to be in a senior role! Will have a break and then job hunt again and see how it goes!

Thanks again!

Hi clare sorry to hear about your work problems but stay positive, things have a way of sorting themselves out, as they say when one door closes another one opens

just over four years ago I was working part time in a factory to suppliment my poor preschool income and I was made redundant, the next day was the local college openday so I went along to see what was on offer I had initially decided to update my childcare qualification thinking at the time that my diploma in preschool practice needed upgrading to an NVQ 3, I went to college the day after being made redundant asked about the NVQ and ended up signing onto the HND in early childhood studies, three years later I completed the final year to make it a degree something I had never dreamed I would ever achieve.

and all because I lost my job! and I can honestly say it was the best thing that happened to me,

so who knows what is around the corner for you??

Hi Claire,

Sorry to hear your news, keeping my fingers crossed that the next door that opens leads to the ideal job ( short hours, fantastic pay, company car, dress allowance, own PA, personal shopper, housework support, spa weekends and lovely children)

Love barb

Thanks all for your wise words!

I'm not looking forward to this week, as it is another week closer to the end, but as you've all said, who knows what's around the corner!

Feeling a bit more positive about the whole thing, especially as I'll get to spend some quality time with the baby!

Even though I won't be working for a while, hopefully I'll still have the odd opinion to throw in! I don't know what I would do without the forum and all you lovely people to talk to! :D

Maybe I could seek medical help whilst I'm off... xD:o !!!

Hi Clare,

I've only just read your post - I'm really sorry to hear your bad news. Nobody knows whats round the next corner good or bad. Hopefully you'll look back on this and, like Alison, see it has done you a favour. Pre-schools are so vulnerable now and I think it can only get worse. We have had a maintained nursery open on our school site and our other feeder school are proposing to open a childrens centre, so our future looks like an uphill battle too!

Enjoy the time with your daughter and keep in touch - hopefully your dream job will be round the next corner. :D

hi Clare,

I too am sorry that you are having problems. As my husband has said (continuously this week!), everything happens for a reason and something good will be heading your way.

Nearly all problems tend to sort themselves out and a better job may just be around the corner - one which you couldn't have started if your pre-school stayed open. Just stay positive.

Best wishes

kymberley

Hi Clare -

sorry if I've seemed disinterested, as we've chatted in the past, but have been away. Hope things get better for you - in the meantime, we'll catch up soon! (when I've a bit more time, hopefully)

Sue xx

Hi Clare

Have you considered other options... if you have a little one how about using your expertise and become a childminder - join your local network and you could offer preschool provision from your own family home and provide parents with funded places. It is surely worth considering.

Hi Clare

Have you considered other options... if you have a little one how about using your expertise and become a childminder - join your local network and you could offer preschool provision from your own family home and provide parents with funded places. It is surely worth considering.

56679[/snapback]

I did consider becoming a childminder actually. The plan was to have the baby, finish my L3 and then 'set up shop' at home, that way I was at home with the baby, doing the job I love! Unfortunately, when I approached my landlord (live in a rented place) and made enquiries, I was told that it was one conditions of my tenancy that I did not use the premises for business purposes xD . There went that plan, so it was back to DN's for me!

On checking my agreement, because I wasn't entirely sure, I found that he was right :(

I don't think I'm going to be able to have all this time off that I have been promising myself. I don't feel ready to take a break yet! Working full time isn't an option because of the baby and it is really difficult to find somewhere that will take me on part time (with the baby!)

I also feel (and maybe I'm being a bit choosy here!) that having been a manager, I'll be able to work as a NN (no offence meant!). I'm not ruling it out though! Anyone got any jobs going???! :o