Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child-initiated Activities In Year 1

There is lots of advice coming through that Year 1 should be given time for child-initiated activities and that Foundation Stage principles should be carried into KS1. Many people seem to be following this advice especially in mixed-age classes. I would like to implement this way of working in my Yr R/Yr 1 class (15 of each with full-time TA support). Having worked in a fairly formal way with Yr 1 for many years, I am unsure of the organisation of this and lacking in confidence. I would welcome any advice - how do people timetable this approach in a Yr R/1 class? How much CI time do Year 1 have? Do they have the same choice of activities. HELP please!!!!!

Gail

• 3 weeks later...

Here I am replying to my own topic, still waiting for someone to give me some advice. We have just moved into a new classroom in which we have less overall space (we do have our own toilets and will eventually have an outside area). Beginning to plan as a whole class, but not very confident. I have planned for two separate groups for too long. Is there anyone in a similar situation - 15 Yr R and 15 Yr 1.

Gail

Hi Gail -

Sorry for the lack of response - but that's what you get for asking serious dedicated questions the day after boxing day. If you'd asked for some advice on indigestion or what to do with unwanted turkeys I'm sure you'd have had no such problem :o

I'm not experienced in reception/yr 1 transitions so I'll let others help you out here - but if you haven't come across these discussions elsewhere I think you'll find them useful:

Playing for Year 1

Transition to year 1

A great general conversation on how to organise reception to maximise results also includes several references to organised play - give it a try:

reception - the best way forward

Hope they help!

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I have skimmed bits of those links but will read them thoroughly when I have more time (ha ha- what's that?). I am sure they will be useful. Next year I am probably having a pure reception class for the first time - really looking forward to it.

Gail

Hi Gail,

I did see your question but do not feel able to answer you particularly as I do not have that experience, then things fall off the front page and I'm finding it difficult to relocate them!

Any ideas Steve?

I've seen some planning materials, Featherstone, for mixed age group planning.

I went to QCA last summer for a workshop on making links between FS & KS1 and on the basis of that we made our yr1 classes much less formal and more play based for the transition but they are now working in a much more yr1 way!!!

So I guess the answer probably is go with the flow and take your cues from the children. As long as they cover the objectives etc that they should does it matter how they do the learning, (that doesn't sound quite what I mean but how else to explain?)? Children in my experience come to the more formal tasks most easily when they are ready and as long as you are giving them approprite experiences they will get there.

Your school and its expectations will also dictate how you approach this.

I can't imagine mixed age teaching really, I'm sure its hardwork. Do you not have any one to tackle this with in school?

Hope that helps a little.

Good luck!

Susan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)