Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Independence

Lucie

I'm trying to argue that independence is an important attitude for young children to develop.

The only thing is that my persuasive skills are rubbish and i'm struggling to give examples!

what would you say if someone said being independent isn't important, or if you think it isn't can you give a reason why?

thanks

laura x

Some ideas

The Education Policy Context

Recent initiatives, circulars and curriculum documents from various government agencies have given prominence to the idea of independent learning. They have also offered a range of suggestions as to what it might involve. In the recent set of QTS Standards entitled Qualifying to Teach (DfEE/ TTA, 2002), for example, teacher trainees are required under Standard S3.3.3 'Delivering effective lessons' to 'make learning objectives clear to pupils' and 'promote active and independent learning that enables pupils to think for them selves, and to plan and manage their own learning'.

The OFSTED Handbook for the Guidance on the Inspection of Nursery and Primary Schools (1995), however, offers a rather different slant:

'Pupils should:

• show initiative and be willing to take responsibility

• show interest in their work and be able to sustain concentration and develop their capacity for personal study

• have an ability to select and use relevant resources and that there should be

• opportunities for pupils to take on responsibility, demonstrate initiative ....'

At the level of curriculum, in the Curriculum Guidance for the Foundation Stage (DfEE/QCA, 2000), which established the new curriculum for children between 3-5 years of age, one of the stated 'Principles for early years education' (p.3) is that there should be 'opportunities for children to engage in activities planned by adults and also those that they plan and initiate themselves'. Again within the Personal and Social and Emotional Development area of learning, practitioners are enjoined to give particular attention to:

• 'ensuring that there is time and space for children to focus on activities and experiences and develop their own interests

• planning experiences that help children develop autonomy and the disposition to learn

• planning for the development of independence skills ...' (p.28)

I agree with Sue it is something we see as really important in our setting and I would argue without it children arent ready to learn effectively.

Three main principles that underly the Foundation Stage Curriculum

Choice

Involvement

INDEPENDENCE!!!!

They are key to children's learning