Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Time

Hi

Can i just ask when other pre-schools get together to do the planning. Do you do it in the evening. I was just wondering as we don't seem to have any time during the day when i can sit down with all the staff.

Hi Simcity! We aim to do our planning once a week on Tuesday, as this is our earliest day. The staff are all aware of this and even asked for regular planning meetings, but some don't bother to attend and another staff member works at another pre-school in the afternoon, so she can never attend meetings. Some weeks the turnout is so poor, that I end up cancelling meetings, much to the joy of some people, and doing the planning myself.

This is great until I have to spend the following week explaining the plans to the others!

We have a meeting every half-term where we discuss topics and early learning goals we need to cover. Then each member of staff plans for a two week block. During their planning cycle they organise the session i.e. take the register, organise craft activities, read the story at circle-time etc. etc. This keeps all members of staff involved with day-to-day running but there are pro's and con's. We were only saying today that there is too much forward planning and not enough child initiated. We only have a morning session on a Friday and are thinking about stopping for an hour after session to evaluate the previous weeks plans and discuss the week to come.

Thanks for your replies.

We operate 5 morning sessions and five afternoon sessions. The committee want us to plan at the end of an afternoon session which would be 4pm by the time we put away. Staff are not happy with this and dont want to meet in th evening. I find it easier just to do it myself but i would like to include them all.

Oh well, maybe i should give them all a couple of weeks to plan at home. I'll carry on thinking this through, i'm sure i'll come up with something.

we have a problem with timing/fitting in planning as we too are open am and pm sessions with lunch club which is when we used to do the plans. and often find we have to plan 6 week blocks, but these are very flexible.

To allow everyone in put we devised a mind map or spider graph method of putting a piece of paper on the wall each week diivided into areas of learning and everyone puts on it any areas we need to cover with an idea on how to do this. This is assessed at the end of each week or 2 weeks if appropriate and I do the planning for the next period based from this. if somone has come up with an idea it is often passed to them to implement it!

everyone has a chance of input even if they are only in briefly and allows an on going plan to emerge which does incorporate the childrens needs at any particular time.

As with all things it often gets changed last minute or on the day because of the direction the children take it...this is noted on the evaluation stating why it was changed.

Inge

we have a problem with timing/fitting in planning as we too are open am and pm sessions with lunch club which is when we used to do the plans. and often find we have to plan  6 week blocks, but these are very flexible. 

To allow everyone in put we devised a mind map or spider graph method of putting a piece of paper on the wall each week diivided into areas of learning and everyone puts on it any areas we need to cover with an idea on how to do this. This is assessed at the end of each week or 2 weeks if appropriate and I do the planning for the next period based from this. if somone has come up with an idea it is often passed to them to implement it!

everyone has a chance of input even if they are only in briefly and allows an on going plan to emerge which does incorporate the childrens needs at any particular time.

As with all things it often gets changed last minute or on the day because of the direction the children take it...this is noted on the evaluation stating why it was changed.

Thats a really good idea, i think i might give this a try, thanks inge

Inge

54997[/snapback]

Hi,

We 'try' to plan each half term, but myself and Deputy get together one evening a week for about an hour and a half to go over observations (that staff have asked us to consider in planning). It is difficult sometimes - time is always against you and in the end you find yourself doing it on your own, just so that you know it's done!

There certainly isn't any time at the beginning or after a session, you are either racing against time to get things ready for the session or absolutely shattered after a busy day!

It is easier now as we work (loosely) to a 2 year plan. So we have main themes which alternate every 2 years. The main outline is there, but just tweak each week/term to make sure we are covering areas of learning that need to be considered for various children.

I am considering doing away with 'themes' altogether as I find we are stifled sometimes - there are always things we think we haven't covered and would like to do but doesn't fit into the plans! (Although they do, we just don't stick to the plans!!!)

Would be very interested in hearing how others do it.

I always spend Sunday evenings typing up the plans for the week so everyone knows what they are doing. We also have a rota - again so staff know if they are in garden, focus activity etc.