Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Broken Jaw

debbie2

Hi all

My 18 year old has just broken his jaw - has anyone on the forum any experience of this as the hospital haven't given us much information on how to cope with not being able to open your mouth for at least a fortnight, possibly longer! All we've been told is a liquid diet and as little talking as possible.

thanks Debbie

Hi Debbie

My husband broke his jaw many years ago and the advice was basically the same I'm afraid. I don't think there is a lot you can do-just give it time.

Hope he recovers quickly.

Linda

Sorry to hear about your son Debbie. The number of times I think it would be wonderful if my 8 year old son couldn't talk for two weeks but when something like this happens you appreciate the sound of their voices. I guess you'll need a lot of patience for the next couple of weeks!

Sorry, personal experience but maybe you could talk to a dietician at your local surgery for advice on what constitutes a nutritious liquid diet.

Wishing your son a speedy and not too difficult recovery.

Peggy

A lot of the kids at school have pureed food as they can't cope with solid food so I'd suggest that he makes use of a blender and becomes a fan of instant mash! would all go down a straw, which I presume he can use.

Sorry I've nothing else helpful. Hope he gets well soon.

OOOOH!!!

That happened to me years ago! Try to be imaginative, please!!

No other advice, I'm afraid, but I would say that mine involved a few broken teeth that couldn't be attended to until i was 'unwired'. Thus, not too many funny stories, either, as laughing jangles your teeth when they aren't properly whole! :o

Sue

:o ohhhh ouch broken jaw and broken teeth Sue that sounds nasty I smashed my teeth up when I was younger (fell of a see-saw and it hit me in the face as I landed underneath it) I remember it vividly

oooh teeth, jaws Im wincing just thinking about it xD

Debbie I hope your son makes a speady recovery and Im sure he will appreciate eating proper food when his jaw has healed.

I second what Alison has said! I've (touch wood) never had an injury to my teeth or jaw. Wishing your son well, Debbie, and good luck to you too as you nurse him better!

Hi all

thanks for the advice, I think the blender is going to get a lot of use in the coming weeks. It's strange how although it tastes OK meals from a blender just don't look the same. Just shows how much we rely on our sight when we eat!

thanks again

Debbie :)

Oh poor thing. This happened to one of my sons a few years ago and he had to have a metal plate screwed in. someone kicked him in the face - got six months for the attack (not Phil) but this guy has done the same since and went back inside!

I used a blender but he hated the mush he was given. Ice-cream was a favourite as it was soothing to all the swollen tissues. It was supprising how quickly he got on to softer food like mash, beans, etc. smoothies would be a good way of getting some fruit down- mix with yoghurt or ice-cream. Yummy!

My son had his upper and lower jaw moved last year - terrible experience for me!!! Just couldn't get over the amount of swelling - I had nightmares for weeks!!

It is amazing how quickly it all goes down and the pain isn't that bad (providing medication is taken regularly!).

Agree with all advice - mush is good, but they soon get fed up with it. It's just a question of being patient really, surprising how everything heals. Richard's got two metal plates in his mouth and after a few weeks everything settled and a few months on was brilliant. Now he is a handsome young thing, so all worth it!!!

At the beginning, you can't see that things will get better, but trust me, they do. Send him my good wishes - just tell him to enjoy the attention!!

Hope he has a speedy recovery and you feel easier now - soon be ok!!!

Best wishes

Kymberley