Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inhalers And Epipen

Alison

Ive been going through our operational plan today and looked at the wording of our medication policy, we mention asthma and epipen's in a general paragraph and that staff have undergone training but our policy isnt quite right.

our policy mentions medication and how we deal with it and the child during session (filling in foms getting parents consent etc) amongst the wording for medication I had written that "filling in consent forms will not give blanket consent and new forms will be needed for each course of medication" but that doesnt fit asthma inhalers and epipens

I want to update our policy and add a specific paragraph explaining our proceedure for emergency medication better but cannt get the wording write and wondered what others have written?

I also wondered do other settings have a special form for emergency medication different to their medication consent forms?

We don't specifically mention tupes of medication in our policies. But in our accident book parents sign medicines are written down by name and dosage etc.

On a different note I have just been reading our renewal booklet for our insurance(PLA) . we are covered to give asthma medication i.e pumps without notifying them but have to notify the insurance company with particulars i.e doctors lettter, parent consent form and training in using an epipen.

Sue

Epipen training has to be undated every year. We keep asthma cards with names of medication and instructions on the, then the card is taken by parents to the Dr. to say what we should do in an emergency, and we have a separate asthma policy.

We have forms for short term medication ie: antibiotics although we try to encourage parents to administer these at home, around preschool hours if at all possiblt. We have a different form for long term medication such as Asthma inhalors.

Peggy

Guest Anne Savill

Do you have a copy of the latest guidance 'Managing Medicines in Schools and Early Years Settings'? Issued March 2005, ref. 1448-2005DCL-EN this is really good guidance and has examples of forms etc and covers all your questions.

Do you have a copy of the latest guidance 'Managing Medicines in Schools and Early Years Settings'? Issued March 2005, ref. 1448-2005DCL-EN this is really good guidance and has examples of forms etc and covers all your questions.

54849[/snapback]

Who are the authors/publishers of the guidance Anne?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)