Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Building resilience - learning to lose

I’m looking for some ideas around supporting my class with learning to lose or even just not get their way with something. They have always struggled with this but at the moment it’s huge. I’m sure some of it is sensing that things are changing but I seem to have someone ‘stropping’ or in tears constantly. It’s really only half a dozen key children but the effect they are having on the others is huge. As it all started again this afternoon I overheard one of the others say “Oh not this again!”

I’m planning to do some very focused PSHE but would love some extra ideas!

It's really hard, isn't it? 😧

I think really quick games can work well- where it's over and done with and there is less time to mope. Then a new game starts- like skittles or bean bag games. Board games aren't as good as there is often too much invested in winning.

Also, games which involve the children 'against' you! For example, all the children have to throw the bean bags into a big box whilst you try to throw them all out again. You can keep it going as long as you like and then you slow down so eventually they all win- then you can model 'Oh you won- well done. But I really enjoyed playing that with you'.

• Like 1