Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios and qualifications

• 4 weeks later...

Such a difficult situation- after all the good things that were put in place- graduate fund, EYPS, Foundation Degrees, all excellent at attracting and keeping high quality staff. But the stress of the work and generally poor pay has ultimately led to us losing many, many wonderful early years teachers and practitioners.

• 3 months later...

Hi

This is so confusing as it states that you can count them in this paragraph, can anyone advise? Thankyou

3.30.Only those aged 17 or over may be included in ratios if they are suitable, as in paragraphs 3.9 to 3.11 (and staff under 17 should be supervised at all times). Suitable students on long term placements and volunteers (aged 17 or over) and staff working as apprentices in early education (aged 16 or over) may be included in the ratios if the provider is satisfied that they are competent and responsible.

• Like 1

On 15/06/2023 at 10:39, cath_stokes said:

Hi

This is so confusing as it states that you can count them in this paragraph, can anyone advise? Thankyou

3.30.Only those aged 17 or over may be included in ratios if they are suitable, as in paragraphs 3.9 to 3.11 (and staff under 17 should be supervised at all times). Suitable students on long term placements and volunteers (aged 17 or over) and staff working as apprentices in early education (aged 16 or over) may be included in the ratios if the provider is satisfied that they are competent and responsible.

Hi cath and welcome to the forum.

I understand that paragraph to mean you can count them in your ratio as unqualified, providing you have the qualified element in place, so they can’t be part of the 50% must have.

for the first time in my 30+ years I am struggling to recruit, as a small team with an unqualified already we have no wriggle room for anyone else unqualified, not that I’d want another unqualified, I think one at a time for us is doable.

On 16/06/2023 at 18:03, Mouseketeer said:

Hi cath and welcome to the forum.

I understand that paragraph to mean you can count them in your ratio as unqualified, providing you have the qualified element in place, so they can’t be part of the 50% must have.

for the first time in my 30+ years I am struggling to recruit, as a small team with an unqualified already we have no wriggle room for anyone else unqualified, not that I’d want another unqualified, I think one at a time for us is doable.

Yes I think the same Cath. It’s such a problem finding staff now, especially qualified ones 😞 

• Like 1