Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childminding Assistant's and the 2 hour rule

JGFS

Can a childminder have 3 assistants working for the maximum of 2 hours a day if required? If the childminder needs a break for example, or to sort out paperwork etc?

I work with 2 assistants at a time every day.

If a childminder employs an assistant or works with another childminder, each childminder (or assistant) may care for the number of children permitted by the ratios specified in sections 3.44 of the EYFS Statutory Framework, subject to any restrictions imposed by Ofsted on registration. Children may only be left in the sole care of assistants for no more than two hours in a single day. Childminders must obtain parental permission to leave children with an assistant.

On 10/09/2022 at 11:43, louby loo said:

I kind of think as it says 'assistants' rather than 'each assistant I would read it as just 2 hour overall? 

It's one of those questions that I would email ofsted directly about- that way you have a paper trial if they do say each assistant = 2 hours.

Thanks. It is 2 hours across the day total, but my query is can you use 3 assistants as you can only normally have 2 plus the childminder but if the childminder isn't there, can you have 3 assistants for up to 2 hours to keep within your ratios? 

On 10/09/2022 at 11:56, JGFS said:

Thanks. It is 2 hours across the day total, but my query is can you use 3 assistants as you can only normally have 2 plus the childminder but if the childminder isn't there, can you have 3 assistants for up to 2 hours to keep within your ratios? 

Arhh... get what you mean now.