Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment Info

Hi

I was just wondering what assessment information you receive with your new children from pre schoo. At the moment we receive very little assessment information from our pre-school, they do not do anything towards the Foundation stage profile. Should they be doing so?

I am meeting with the pre school manager next week as i really think we need to address this issue. What sorts of things do you receive assessment wise and what do you think works well and maybe not quite so well?

Thank you

Lola

Guest tinkerbell

I receive children from 8 different pre schools (nurseries,playgroup,montessori,private nurseries etc) the information that comes with the children is either nothing or the profile or notes.An adviser from the LEA came into school last term to ask me the same question and ask what I would like.She was going round all primary schools doing a survey and hopefully she will come up with something useful.

She also talked about transition to year1, as I teach half year1 and work closely with the yr1 yr2 teacher we have a lot of easing into KS1 going on so it really isn't a big issue.

Tinkerbellx

Hi Lola

we also receive very little info about our children from our local pre-school.

The Profile covers children's 'Reception' year, ie the school year in which they are five. If the children you are getting are spending some of this time in a preschool then they should come to you with some kind of assessment. But the Profile itself is not statutory, only the score at the end of it. The score can be compiled from an alternative assessment document/s.

Hope this makes sense

Debbie

Hi We send a pack to the parents when children leave nursery for them to pass to their school. This includes a completed record of achievement (a county recommended document which lists all stepping stones and goals with the date achieved). This clearly shows the level each child is at. Each keyworker also prepares a transfer document which gives background information and a summary under each area of learning. There is also a place on this form for parents to add comments before passing it to the school. We also send home observations and evidence books but these are not for schools as we do not want to overload them.

We put an enormous amount of work into transfer documents and the feedback we get is:

1) absolutely fantastic - I feel I know the child or

20 I do not possibley have time to read that for all my children,

Oh well you can't win them all!

The pac that you send with your chilodren is exactly kind of thing we would love to receive. we get nothing at the moment.

We do a similar sort of thing although we in Surrey have what they call a Surrey Child Profile - two pre printed books one which covers the green stepping stones and early learning goals only which highlights all the stepping stones and early learnign goals and as and when the achieve it, they are highlighted and dated with/without an observation, sometimes we use professional judgement and mark it up as PJ, O- obeservation, S-Sample etc etc. We then prepare a small report normally about a page and a half on each child under each area of learning stating where they are out and what they like doing or not like doing in a very senstive manner. e.g. is now beginning to sit for register time, etc. I pass the profiles - two book loads plus the report to the school of their choosing. Most of the time I wonder what they do with them so its really nice to see that you actually want to see them

Nikki

• 10 months later...

Peggy, I've just downloaded your record of transfer document and am wondering what you do with the bit that says Yellow - Blue - Green - ELG? Do you highlight the band where the individual child MAINLY falls for each are of learning and then add some comments to illustrate?

Peggy, I've just downloaded your record of transfer document and am wondering what you do with the bit that says Yellow - Blue - Green - ELG? Do you highlight the band where the individual child MAINLY falls for each are of learning and then add some comments to illustrate?

Yes, highlight where child MAINLY reaches the level, write how they have achieved this in terms of experiences, ie: Tom thoroughly enjoyed exploration of fish, extending to investigating the backbone, he made dough prints of the skeleton and used reference books to learn more about other types of skeleton.

Then we write next steps ie: To further explore features of the body.

Hope this helps. I've got a busy week but if you would like, and you remind me I can post ( at the weekend) a completed example - all identification removed of course. :o

Peggy

I think the new EYFS requirements to liase and communicate with other providers, including transition to new settings will address this issue.

Peggy

Marion, what do you think of your Flying Start document, would you/could you share it? I'm pretty sure that our authority doesn't have anything used by all settings and have decided to try and produce my own. :o

Personally I find it easier as its broken down into smaller steps and can be used from on entry to nursery (preschool/day nursery) so shows progression through the FS. Unfortunately I can't share as it might be in breach of copyright.

I work in Foundation/Reception class. We get 'My learning journey' from all the nurseries that feed into our school. Although it is linked to the FSP it focuses mainly on the skills rather than knowledge, it is a useful guide. I have found that it is not always accurate expecially from one private nursery. I have always found it useful to base my baseline on my own obs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)