Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Growing Topic

Hi all, please can you help me with a few ideas for the topic of growing within the enhanced provision. Can somebody also suggest some book names for 'growing' that i could use. I'm an NQT who needs help!!!!! Thanks in advance.

Flowerxxxxxxx

Hi flower

If you go into articles and in the search box type in growth it will take you to the article on growth where you will find a topic web and some plans on different areas of growth.

Hope this helps

Lola

Thanks Lola, have seen the growing articles but was asking if someone has use any specific activities/resources in water, sand etc.

Flowerx

Hi Flower,

Other than the usual growing sunflowers or tomatoes (that the children can eventually eat!) we have also used milk bottles with coloured water, put white carnations into the milk bottles and left them in the sun. Over time, the carnations turn the colour of the water in the bottles. This is an easy demonstration of how flowers use water to grow, as the children can actually see the colour changing in the flowers.

Clare

Works well with daffodils too :D

Books: A seed in need

Jasper's Beanstalk

Billy's sunflower

The enormous turnip

Titch (if you want people growing)

We put plastic flowers, plant pots, children's gardening tools etc in the sand tray.

Haven't got any good activities related to growth for the water tray, but one of my children brought in a toy snake last year that expands in water - great fun. Insta snow also expands very rapidly when added to water.

'Growing Vegetable Soup' and 'Planting a Rainbow', both by Lois Ehlert, are really good for the plant side of 'growing'. 'Meg's Veg' by Helen Nicoll and Jan Pienkowski seems to appeal to children too. There's also Eric Carle's 'The Tiny Seed' and 'Jasper's Beanstalk' by Nick Butterworth and Mick Inkpen.

'Once There Were Giants' by Martin Waddell deals with the subject of human growth (this is nice and dreamy) and there's also 'You'll Soon Grow Into Them, Titch' by Pat Hutchins which is about the baby of the family who always has to wear hand-me-downs. There is lots to see in the pictures including the changes of the seasons, Mum's growing tummy and a bird building a nest, laying eggs and hatching and looking after chicks.

For animal growth there's the obvious ones like Eric Carle's 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' but one I've read to my class (which has details to notice in the pictures) is 'Watch Out For The Big Bad Fish!' by Sheridan Cain and Tanya Linch which shows how tadpoles gradually turn into frogs.

Gone a bit brain-dead now. If I think of any more I'll post them!

Sorry ASPK - doubled up on some of the things in your post - you must have snuck in whilst I was still typing!

Few more book titles on the gardening side :-

Starting Gardening (non-fiction)

In the Garden (Little Nippers)

Tilda’s Seeds (non-fiction)

Life as a Sunflower (non-fiction)

Oliver’s Fruit Salad

Oliver’s Vegetables

A Surprise for Wendy

Sally’s Secret Garden

The Secret Path

Camille and the Sunflowers

Katie and the Sunflowers

Could also fill the water tray with compost, add gardening tools and plastic pots, etc. (a few plastic minibeasts hidden are usually popular!)

My immediate response is to find a friendly OAP with photos!!

Sue  :o

53274[/snapback]

thanks sue that is a good idea had not thought of that one i will put a not up tomorrow. i also wanted images of different cultures as well tried doig a web search and nothing has come up tha i was looking for

Karen,

Last year I printed off and laminated a lot of photo's from the internet of people at different stages. I searched on google images and had to keep changing the words I typed in to get exactly what I wanted. I would attach the photo's on here but I think the files would be too large! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)