Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Short Term Plans

When i done my DPP in 1998 i was showen this way of doing my short term planning, when we had a ofsted last month she said that its not the way most setting use but it was ok. I was thinking of changing it if I can find a more simple way of doing them. If anyone have one that I could use please can you send me a copy

Thanks Rosemarie

Short_Term_spaghetti.doc

Hi Rosemarie

I can't see anything wrong with your plans. Just because other settings don't do them this way doesn't mean you have to change them. When we had our last OFSTED I mentioned the fact that I was going to change our planning. The inspector asked me why. She said that if the staff were cmfortable with it and they found it easy to use then to leave it. Why fix what isn't broken?

The only thing I might add is an evaluation section where you or your staff could write comments on how the activity went and any changes you may want to make-or not. You could just write that the activity went well and the children thoroughly enjoyed it!

What works for one setting doesn't always work for another.

Linda

Hi Rosemarie

I can't see anything wrong with your plans. Just because other settings don't do them this way doesn't mean you have to change them. When we had our last OFSTED I mentioned the fact that I was going to change our planning. The inspector asked me why. She said that if the staff were cmfortable with it and they found it easy to use then to leave it. Why fix what isn't broken?

The only thing I might add is an evaluation section where you or your staff could write comments on how the activity went and any changes you may want to make-or not. You could just write that the activity went well and the children thoroughly enjoyed it!

What works for one setting doesn't always work for another.

Linda

52980[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply I have a section on the back of the sheet to carry out a evaluation, the ofsted said that it was differcult to follow, the staff have got don't have any problems as they have only ever had them wrote this way. I was thinking of trying to add in the birth to three but I have not worked out how to yet.

Thanks Rosemarie

Edited by Guest

We used to have the key vocab, adult role and group size on our weekly planning. This was until our EYA said that we didn't need it as it was too time consuming and that the adults employed by the pre-school should be qualified and quite aware of how to achieve the learning objectives without being led by the hand.

This, of course is true, but we tried to get everything written down as proof for Ofsted.

So, we changed the planning as advised to her recommended format. It remains to be seen whether this format is one Ofsted will approve of, as they never had any issues with our original planning.

It can be so tricky to try and make sure that your planning suits so many different people your team, your school, the LEA, Ofsted. It can be a complete nightmare!

Lola

I agree with lola's comment. Our planning has slightly developed to include the names of which children we want to encourage to access the activity ( derived from previous observations). We also call the learning outcomes section "Possible learning and development" because children can take their learning in their own direction.

Our planning sheet is for a week: based on childrens interests and a broad theme linked to our story. ie Bob the Builder

1st column: 6 areas of learning with 1 or 2 PLOD's in each area

PSE Work as part of a group, understanding rules for sharing.

2nd Column: 4 areas for birth to three: ie: A skillful communicator: developing vocabulary- Hammer, truck etc talking about what we are doing-banging a nail, building a wall ( with lego)

3rd coloumn: Planned possibilities ( which actual activities we will provide throughout the week) in each play zone: ie: Construction area: Building blocks, soil with trucks.

4th column ( which informs the next weeks plans: How the children developed their play in eah play zone. ie: next to construction area we wrote: Soil very popular with diggers. ( Ryan, Charlie, Thomas, Alfie, Gracie, Louise) all played a game, giving voices to their vehicles & interacted with each other via their vehicle characters. Ryan had a toy mobile phone & pretended to book jobs for the vehicles.

This column can show, how PLODs are met, how children changed the play, introducing different resources and changing learning focus or even that children didn't access the activity at all.

This has developed over time, and others have said, if it works for you why change? I think the main requirement change with regard to ofsted is that you are identifying how your planning is informed by the childrens interests. That they are child informed and not ELG led.

Peggy

I found an example of how we used to plan weekly (the minibeast topic ) which sounds like how you plan and the planning format we now use (had OFSTED at the end of January and were using new style at that point) we do seperate Literacy and numeracy planning which I cant foind on my lap top but will add when I can.

Focused_Activity.doc

mini_beast.doc

daily_planning_for_activity_areas.doc

Hi Marion.

Looking at the way other people do their planning I think we need to change some of ours, I'm the afternoon supervisor for monday to Wednesday as thats all I work these days, but I do all the planning for the afternoon children, We have another supervisor doing the other planning, we sometimes use each others. I do all the Long and Medium term planning so that we are both covering the same theme each week. I have enclosed a copy of all my planning.

Long_Term_planning.doc

Changes__new_life_medium_term.doc

growing_short_term_planning.doc

Weekly_Daily_plan.doc

Rosemarie

After much tweaking and playing around I have finally come up with a short term planning sheet that everyone at work will like! It covers what I want it to and limits the amount of paperwork!

I'm sure everyone will be pleased that that is the end of my hunt for suitable planning formats! :D

Here is a copy of ours. The activities/equipment highlighted are focus activities.

Hope it helps.

Clare

focus_activity_sheet.doc

Edited by Loopylou

Got a bit muddled. Sorry! Here's the rest of it!

Clare

53303[/snapback]

Thanks for posting your planning format, it looks a lot more simple than the way I am doing it

Rosemarie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)