Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

10 Minute Phonic Lesson For Interview

I have been invited for an interview for a nursery teacher vacancy, and I have to teach a 10 minute phonic lesson to reception aged children. The school are hoping to create a foundation stage unit for September, so the job is for both age groups. I would be very grateful for any ideas, as I have been working with nursery children for the last 3 years and am unsure at what level reception chidlren are at. Looking at the foundation stage curriculum, the early learning goal talks about naming letters where as isn't synthetic phonics now saying that the children shouldn't be taught the letter names along side the sounds they make? Any advice/suggestions gratefully recieved.

Thankyou in advancexxx

Do you have a copy of the playing with sounds file there should be some ideas in there to help you.

Good luck

I use a puppet to introduce the sound and he picks up things that begin with wrong sound

I also use him for kim's game he takes different things away

I also use a toy train as an introduction and sing the alphabet train came over the hill ............what sound will it bring today sung to thr ruuaway train tune

playing with sounds good

:o

You could play "full circle" with the children where they have to change one sound in a word to create a new one. (Can't recall whether this appears in playing with sounds or not, but it does appear in the PIPs book). The children hold letter cards and come out to the front to make the new word.

Good luck whatever you decide to do :D

I've a suggesstion for you.

1. Collect some items from around the classroom in a non see through bag eg. dog, cat, hen, pig, cow, hat , pencil, ruler , snake, ladybird etc..

2. Collect letter sound cards to match the items in the bag

3. Before you put the letter sound cards down on the floor ask the childern to say the sounds.

4. Pass the bag round the group

5. Give a signal such as who ever is holding the bag when I clap my hands (you can use music) take an item from the bag and name it

6. Then place the object by the correct letter sound, if child is unable to answer I usually ask who they would like to help them. This usaully works.

You can also do it in reverse by putting the cards in the bag and have the objects on the floor or mat. Sometimes I put the objects on a piece of brightly colured material helps the class to focus.

I hope this makes sense and will be of some help. Good Luck

Kathleen

Thanks kathleen that sounds really good.

At first I thought about 'full circle' and mentioned it to someone that I know who is a reception teacher and she said that she has only ever done it with year one children and not reception. So I've since been thinking about having a prop for each child, and saying a sound, the children have to hold their prop up if it starts with that sound (5 or 6 sounds in whole class). I wondered then If one child could come up and write the sound/letter on the board. Also as an extension if needed, i could choose a couple of the props and as a class we could work out how to write the word. e.g bag and tap. I really like your idea though kathleen so might adapt what I was thinking. Let me know what you think!

I would definitely extend the activity beyond initial sounds - most (but not all) of my reception class are confident writers of cvc words.

Hi Daisydoo,

I'm gald you thought this activity helpful. It is good to bounce ideas around with like minded people. Your suggestions for adapting the activity I have used and worked well for my children. There are more activities in 'Playing with Sounds'. Such as the activity 'noisy sounds' and the ping pong balls activity you can adapt most of the ideas appropriately for your group of children.

Kathleen :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)