Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Identifying Ch In Reception

Just wondering if anyone can help. I havea few children in my class with speech difficulties, poor sound recognition and severe independence issues.

We have had the IEP reviews with our SEN co-ordinator. These children were discussed with the SEN co-ordinator and she said we will see how it goes and wait until year 1 until we do anything. This really worries me as i sort of think what is the point in identifying the problem surely we are wasting a year - could we not be doing something about his now.

I have only been in reception for a year so not sure if this is normal practice. What happens else where?

Lola

I can't speak as a teacher, but as an ex-Speech & Language Therapist I find this surprising. I'd have thought you wanted to address the phonolgy asap - depending on the SALT waiting list, of course.

We start the ball rolling in pre-school, the earlier they are assessed the better, surely.

There is a problem with waiting lists, but as you say, if you wait another year, it will be worse.

There will be no point in having appointed senco's in early years otherwise. If we think there are concerns, we approach outside agencies for support as early as possible. Even if it is found to be too early at least you know you have done your bit to support the child.

Sometimes I suggest to the parent that although we will be referring their child to Sp & Lang, that going through their own GP may be a little quicker. I know how you feel about IEP provision it always seems to be left until Year 1 for any support (1-1) will be given :o

I had this exact same situation in the last school I worked in, the SENCO tried to justify it by saying that young children develop at different rates, so therefore they were giving them the chance to overcome their problem naturally before dealing with it, but essentially what it came down to was an acceptance of the culture of sen provision not being very good, and the sen teacher not having enough hours to cover all the children she was supposed to

it was very frustrating, and having changed jobs in january, it is refreshing to be in a situation where the senco is keen to get involved very early on, and to involve the support of senior management where necessary...

good luck, and I hope you manage to get the help you need for these children

bb

I know and it really angers me as it makes it seem like they do not see what we do in Reception as of any value. It's as if they think the real learning starts in year 1 and so thats when the help needs to be given. Arrrrgh!

Anyway thanks will try the GP route with parents.

Must be in an enlightened area, as we refer direct (pre-school) as soon as poss realising the problem schools have.

our area Senco is keen for us to do so. have referred 1 this term and have 3 others in speach therapy. can take a while, if no joy we ask parents to go to H visitor or Gp. we have found that if we refer them then they get help easier at school, even if nothing is done while with us.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)