Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pay increase

Dennie

We are a committee run setting and have asked the trustees to look at staff pay again, for the second time this year, especially as they will soon have to advertise for a new level 3 staff member.

Level 3 pay has been pegged back so that unqualified staff are earning only a few pence less than level 3s due to the minimum wage increase in April.  It literally is pence and this leaves little incentive for anyone taking on a level 3 role and additional responsibilities.  Several years ago there was a hierarchy set up with pay for individual roles and levels.  Since then other staff pay rises have not kept up with the rise in minimum wage.

Can any committee settings suggest how they now research a realistic wage for level 3 and level 6 staff, deputy, manager, administrator, especially given the funding challenges we all face?   Even many job advertisements merely say 'salary dependent on experience'.  The last national survey was some years ago now so is no longer helpful.   Does your local council offer any guidance?  It would be good to share any advice at the next committee meeting.

We're a full day nursery so our finances are slightly different. We went through this a couple of years ago becasue I lost a valued member of staff as she couldn't take the 'fairness' of being paid less becasue she was young (but qualified) against an older person (over 25) with little experience. I took the bull by the horns and devised a payscale. 

I based it on our local authority advertisement for LA nursery provision - it worked out as NLW + depending on qualifications. So we have the 25yr olds rate as our base and everyone else builds from that. It is only pence different per hour but it does show clearly the difference between qualified and unqualified. I also brought in Responsibility Points - valued at £500, £750 and £1000 a year that staff could have as add ons to their salary. So our L3 staff would get NLW +3% and then if they have additional responsibilities they have RPs added on (like teachers do) - my room leaders have RP3 which adds £1000 a year to their salary. If staff go on a course or are enthused by something they can write to me and ask for a RP for a period of time e.g RP1 for a term to reorganise our outside play area, or to take responsibility for organising an area of the curriculum.

Edited by Rebecca
  • Like 5

Rebecca-I do like the idea of that. We do have a between our unqualified (doing a L2) and our L3's. Unfortunately this is only 25 p since April- but cant be helped at present. 

I do have two Senior staff paid extra and SENCO- but to be honest one of them really doesnt do anything for her extra salary, just has the title Senior- as she has been there so much longer.  However I like the idea of the Responsibility Points. Especially in the short term. Presumably you would pay this retrospectively? What do you do if they dont/aren't doing what they said.

• Like 2

I like the suggestion of responsibility points.  It's certainly something that could be put to the committee, especially since our senior level 3s have seen their earnings fall in comparison to the unqualified staff in recent years.  Our pay scale really needs to be adapted so that experienced level 3s are rewarded for their ongoing commitment.  In the last 3 years those staff under 25 or those on the minimum wage have at least seen their wages increase, but only because it is a legal requirement and a similar pay rise has not been passed on to the rest of the team as successive committees have worried about sustainability.

21 hours ago, lynned55 said:

Rebecca-I do like the idea of that. We do have a between our unqualified (doing a L2) and our L3's. Unfortunately this is only 25 p since April- but cant be helped at present. 

I do have two Senior staff paid extra and SENCO- but to be honest one of them really doesnt do anything for her extra salary, just has the title Senior- as she has been there so much longer.  However I like the idea of the Responsibility Points. Especially in the short term. Presumably you would pay this retrospectively? What do you do if they dont/aren't doing what they said.

We tend to discuss RPs at appraisal - they are always reviewed annually and can be taken away if agreed targets aren't met - or split between 2 people if they want to share the work with a colleague. As an owner / manager I'm just much happier being transparent and being able to demonstrate (in however small a way) that ideas / application of CPD etc can be rewarded (so there is a point to going on training) - you can also have more than one RP if you have responsibilities in different areas. We thought that RP1 took an additional hour a week of your time, RP2 1.5 hours and RP3 2 hours. That's in addition to your working hours with the children as a key person

Hi All 

I was just browsing and came across this post and have a similar question as I am also in a committee run group.  I would very much appreciate hearing from anyone who would be happy to share their hourly rates, especially if they work for a charity setting.  We are about to launch a job advert and want to make sure we are offering a competitive rate.

Thanks in advance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)