Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Topic Ideas

Hi I'm a new member so I hope this comes out o.k. I'm a nqt who is a Reception class for the first time. The topic after Easter is dinosaurs and I wondered if anyone had any good ideas on this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi Maz and welcome

I work in a pre-school and although we have not covered dinosaurs as a topic we do have a large box of them that the children love xD

We had them out today along with our tuff spot, i have just had a new lawn so took some of the 'off cuts' and filled the tuff spot with grass and soil, large stones, fake trees etc and hid the dinosaurs in there, the children loved it and played there for ages :D

I'm sure you will have lots of better ideas from all the wonderful people on this site, but just wanted to say hello :o

(i did have some rhymes relating to dinosaurs will try and find them out for you)

Jo

we changed the sand pit into a swamp, leaves one day, soil the next then sand, then water etc etc, we did line it first with an old waterproof sheet tied down so at the end we could remove it and just throw it away. a very popular game, but did get a bit smelly which added to the fun.

used harry and the dinosaurs stories too, by chance ours are kept in a bucket! and there is one about a swamp.

Our children made skeleton pictures using straws cut to lenghts, an art in itself cutting a straw

fossils from playdough with a creature pressed in to make the shape and filled with plaster of paris. dinosaur foot prints worked well in this using the toys.

Also look here and here

Inge

Hi I'm a new member so I hope this comes out o.k.  I'm a nqt who is  a Reception class for the first time.  The topic after Easter is dinosaurs and I wondered if anyone had any good ideas on this.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

52695[/snapback]

We have made a swamp using green jelly in the past!! Don't use the flavoured type as they want to eat it !!!!! Just use gellatine and green colouring. Gives a great squishy squelchy gunky swamp!

ELC did an inflatable dinosaur mat with volcanos and trees etc We use this in small world. More dinosaurs in the wet sand

counting dinosaurs in lots of colours think they from YPO.

Books Dinosaurs and all that rubbish (caring for the environment)

Dance of the dinosaurs (weather)

Harry and the dinosaurs

The children love the strange names and you always get one dinosaur expert in each class who can name them all

:D We did dinosaur pictures and labelled them and wrote captions describing them

Design your own dinosaur and name it whats special about it?

you can get packs of fossils to examine and they are great for rubbings

paint amorite spirals

make them in air hardening clay

look at patterns

measure out a diplodocus on the playground and compare size with the biggest grown up available

cant think of any more off the top of my head but with keep thinking :o

Thank you everyone for your ideas. I'm really looking forward to doing this topic as I'm sure the children will really love it. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)