Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Epilepsy

Does anyone have any advice/knowledge of supporting 9/10 year olds with epilepsy in school? one of our ex pupils has suddenly started to have suizures. All the way through school he has struggled a bit and was a child who just couldn't sit still, he lasks concentration and focus (but is very bright!) he had been given a diagnosis of ADHD but looking at the scans it is clear that the left side of his brain is constantly turned on! any advice would be gratefully received! xx

Is the difficulty the associated ADHD symptoms, or are they missing a lot of learning because of seizures? 

There's a lot of great stuff on here - https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/education/education-and-epilepsy - I think it's mainly aimed at information for parents but I'm sure something will be helpful! :)

2 hours ago, Jack said:

Is the difficulty the associated ADHD symptoms, or are they missing a lot of learning because of seizures? 

There's a lot of great stuff on here - https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/education/education-and-epilepsy - I think it's mainly aimed at information for parents but I'm sure something will be helpful! :)

The ADHD symptoms are the main issue (he's only had a couple of bouts of seizures and is currently not on medication)

He is at a private school and i suspect that they have a defined view of how a child should operate in their setting. Mum is struggling to find support and get them to adapt his environment to suit him (movement brakes etc) i suspect she is thinking a diagnosis may help to get them to help!! thanks for the link I'll go and have a look x