Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minibeast Role Play Area?

Hi

After easter our topic will be minibeasts and I like to have a role play area that is linked with the theme. Does anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks

Hi Katie,

I love this theme, last year we set up the role play area as a Minibeat study centre. I used a table top with magnifying glasses, bug pots, paper, pens, minibeat charts, labels and of course real minibeasts (pond snails) The children loved the role play area and this really promoted emergent writing from the younger members of the class. Hope this helps.

Have Fun!!!

hi i have set mine up like a woodlands before. we had painted trees, big bits of bark and wood chippings, and vines and branches i made with the children dangling down. i them hid minibeasts in it for the children to find. we also set up an exlporers hut next to it with a magnifying glass, pads, pens, pots, puters, bug charts etc. the children loved it

We set up a garden underworld with hanging vines made from a fine net that the children can staple paper leaves and grasses to. They make them as an independent activity or with parents. We used lots of different papers, paints and scissors so this covered CD for a week or so while they were setting it up - we involved them in setting up an area and it really made them more interested. They made large scale minibeasts to go in it and brought in creatures from home. They also made a jeep to do a safari and all had clipboards to record their findings. They loved it and it definitely got the boys interested.

We had this theme last year - we painted 'larger than life' size flowers and butterflies, bees, dragonflies etc on large cardboard background (new freezer packaging box), and the children dressed up as minibeasts themselves. Children enjoyed pretending to be insects, and we had lots of things inside asssociated with a garden but from a child size 'insects' point of view - what we found worked particularly well, was to give the initial idea, and then let the children decide what we could include - this built the area up gradually over time and the children loved it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)