Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fsp Moderation

Hi,

This year as past of the moderation of FSP I am being observed doing a PE lesson for an hour. I have never been through a moderation before so I am feeling quite worried! PE is not my strong point by any means! I just wondered if anybody had any great ideas for warm up/down activities and main activity ideas?

I did wonder whether to do a rotation of activities so that the moderator could see them doing a range of skills e.g.

1. Ball skills

2. Ballancing along benches

3. Tables and mats to observe jumping

4. Beanbags and quiots - exploring as they wish

5. Mats to show different ways of travelling.

I seem to be having a real mental block on this at the moment. I think its because I'm panicking about it. Any help would be fantastic and greatly appreciated!

Rosie

The 'Bean Game' (has been discussed often) is a good fun warm up activity

Basically the children move about the hall (showing awareness of space) and on command make the action for the 'bean'

Broad beans = wide shape

String beans = long thin shape

Runner beans = running on the spot

Jumping beans = jumping on the spot

Chilli beans = shiver

Jelly beans = wobble

Beans on toast = lie on the floor

Tins of beans = roll

Sure you get the idea :)

For cool down

we usually move around hall tiptoes/ on heels/ giant strides etc then on command curl up tight and when touched on the shoulder move slowly to line up.

Hi Rosie,

I'd be wary of trying to do everything - just organising so many different activities would seem a nightmare to me - especially as you have a mixture of gym and games type activities. You can't be expected to cover everything and the moderator will be watching to make sure what you assess is the same as him/her. I would choose something that's quite cut and dried to assess (if that's possible) and focus on just three children - this is what we usually do - a more able, middle and lower ability. Of course they might all end up being able/not able to do the activity or you may be able to say yes they can for one and no for the others.

Also, an hour for an observation seems a long time. Are you sure they want to watch the children doing PE for an hour or is this the time allocated for the visit. You might find they want to compare notes with you in this time. I'm not sure. Also will you be letting children get changed in that time - PSE Disposition and Attitude 4!!

Just a thought - have they asked specifically for a PE lesson, or are they focusing on Physical Development, which could be much more open - fine motor skills, scissors, knives etc. Possibly also outdoor play!

I'm sure others will have more ideas.

Good luck, and ask if we can help more.

Harricroft

I know. I think you're right. No that hour will include getting changed and dressed again. Im not sure really what they expect to see. He's coming tomorrow afternoon which is my slot for PE in the hall and I'm not entirely sure if thats why he arranged to come at that time so I thought that's what I'd better do.

I have evidence of fine motor skills in profile. I have the Val Sabin scheme and think I might focus on something from there. We have been doing the ball skills lessons from there. The only problem is that our resources are quite poor and we don't have enough balls for everyone. Last week we had to use tennis balls and a variety of different sized balls as there wasn't enough for everybody.

Ive spent the last couple of hours looking for ideas on the internet but not to much avail. There doesnt seem to be much relevant to the Foundation Stage. I'm getting myself all worked up. Is it really anything to be worried about?

I know. I think you're right. No that hour will include getting changed and dressed again. Im not sure really what they expect to see. He's coming tomorrow afternoon which is my slot for PE in the hall and I'm not entirely sure if thats why he arranged to come at that time so I thought that's what I'd better do.

I have evidence of fine motor skills in profile. I have the Val Sabin scheme and think I might focus on something from there. We have been doing the ball skills lessons from there. The only problem is that our resources are quite poor and we don't have enough balls for everyone. Last week we had to use tennis balls and a variety of different sized balls as there wasn't enough for everybody.

Ive spent the last couple of hours looking for ideas on the internet but not to much avail. There doesnt seem to be much relevant to the Foundation Stage. I'm getting myself all worked up. Is it really anything to be worried about?

52470[/snapback]

Hi I ve been a moderator for the FSP scales this year ,Have just finished in fact and I think you shouldnt worry too much.When Ive gone into schools and settings staff have been really worried but each time they have said afterwards that they shouldnt have.If the scales for moderation are in Physical Development ,then I would identify 3 children and decide which scale point you think they have achieved in PD a top ability.lower and middle ability,The moderators job then is to see if your interpretation of the scale point is the same as his.If it is then fine if not then some disscussion will take place and he should ask you why you feel the child has achieved the point.Remember you have built up a picture of your children over the lasy year and you know them better than he does so if you say to him that youve observed a particular skill in the child a few times ,even if he doesnt,then he should accept your professional judgement.After all children dont always perform normally if there are strangers present.Please domt worry too much he is there to support you and not test you .Good Luck let us know how you get on :)

Hi,

This year as past of the moderation of FSP I am being observed doing a PE lesson for an hour. I have never been through a moderation before so I am feeling quite worried! PE is not my strong point by any means! I just wondered if anybody had any great ideas for warm up/down activities and main activity ideas?

I did wonder whether to do a rotation of activities so that the moderator could see them doing a range of skills e.g.

1. Ball skills

2. Ballancing along benches

3. Tables and mats to observe jumping

4. Beanbags and quiots - exploring as they wish

5. Mats to show different ways of travelling.

I seem to be having a real mental block on this at the moment. I think its because I'm panicking about it. Any help would be fantastic and greatly appreciated!

We made streamers with lolly sticks and crepe paper strips attached - the kids loved moving to fast/slow music with these, and they also love using them as part of a warm up for a pe lesson where there is a diff focus than dance. I started the lesson with directed movements to music so kids got idea of shapes/levels they could make with their streamer. Then we listened to each piece of music before chdn went off and moved freely in response to it. After each time kids showed each other their movement ideas. Kids loved showing off to each other!!!!This may look good as it is cross curricular and incorporates resources the kids have made themselves.

My kids also love playing tail tag to warm up - put 'marker bands' (bands we used to wear in netball) in back of their shorts and their partner must try to get it. Once got it , both chdn must then go and try to catch some others.

Hope this helps , Good luck

Jacqui

Rosie

52460[/snapback]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)