Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

P-levels And The Profile

Hi,

As i have said in my other post I'm new on this and still training to be a teacher in a PSML school. I am just thinking i am getting to grips with the FS curriculum but the head of assessment at our school has just asked us to assess our kids using p-levels. I mentioned that I thought the foundation stage didnt use p-levels and tried to explain the profile but she isnt from early years and she hasnt really heard of it. She thinks that because we are a special needs school that we should be using p-levels and the schools using the profile must be mainstream. I tried explaining that the p-levels were assessing them at a national curriculum level and all schools use p-levels if the kids are performing below level one of the NC but foundation stage was different and therefore had a different assessment strategy but she wasnt really having any of it. Sorry for the rant but I wondered if anyone else had this problem where the rest of the school just doesnt get the foundation stage and whether there was anything that I could say to this teacher to explain it in a better way? Or should I just attempt to level them using p-levels using a best fit approach? (obviously carrying on using the profile as well).

sorry for the long post!!

thanks

jo

Maybe direct her to the standards site

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/f...145599/#1152467

Q14: Should we use p-scales for assessing special educational needs in the Foundation Stage?

A14:

P-scales were developed to reflect the achievement of children in key stage 1 and beyond whose additional needs meant they were not achieving National Curriculum level 1. They should not therefore be used in the Foundation Stage for formative or summative assessment.

Where children are not achieving any of the FSP scales then alternative assessment applies both in the Foundation Stage. These alternative assessments may relate to demonstrating progress using the stepping stones or Birth to Three Matters, whatever is pertinent to the individual child.

In the Foundation Stage it is important to remember that the stepping stones and early learning goals are not hierarchical. It is not appropriate to implement a deficit model. This means that the concept 'of being two stages behind' cannot be used in the Foundation Stage.

In some local authorities, it appears that SEN teams may be required to provide 'hard data' for the purposes of statutory assessment. If this is so, then it is important to explore the processes surrounding the statutory panel, and not try to create inappropriate assessment systems for children in order to meet the requirements of the panel.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Iwas told by an ed psych to assess one of my children using the P scales but then read on the Dfes site that they should not be used in the Foundation stage!

For children that will be using P-scales or similar further up the school, we assess using both the FSP and P-scales or similar. Purely for the reasoning that we can see where they have come from, what rate they are progressing and so it can be continued. It will be for that reasoning the Ed Psych will have suggested it (hopefully!)

IN the back of the FSP handbook (the folder with all the examples etc in) there is awhole section on the assessment of children with SEN. Nearly all the examples in the file linked to the scales have children with disabilities of varying types - this to me also emphasises the fact that the FSP is intended for all children. Only if they cannot attain any scale points do you use alternative assessment applies, which may be an IEP or similar.

You could ask your LA Profile moderator, there should be one. Ask your Advisory teachers or the SEN advisor - they should be able to put you in touch with the right local person for support.

Cx :o

we assess our ch using WP levels eg writing process levels that are working towards the NC they are also used in maths. We still use the profile the wp levels are very accurate aqnd fit in with predictions from the pips on entry reception :o

Hi ecrorri1,

Forgive my ignorance but what are WP levels and where can i find examples of these?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)