Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Another Question

How many reception teachers complete a topic plan for all six areas and then do a separate numeracy and literacy term plan addressing all the concepts they will learn over the term?

Laura

Hi Laura

I am in Reception and do my medium term topic planning with the Nursery teacher. The plan incorporates all six areas of learning. I also do separate numeracy and literacy plans that are sometimes linked to our topic, but not always. I do them in more detail than the planning for the other areas and I use both the Curriculum Guidance Document and the NNS and NLS documents to make sure I cover everything we need to.

Debbie

Hi Laura, I'm in Reception too altough this is only my second year with this age group ( two years in Y2 prior to that). Last year I did a big, long medium term plan each term, split up into things that I might conceivably do for each area of learning based on my broad theme, but found that I didn't use it and it was, really, a waste of my time as I have mini-themes each week, based around a book, and all the things I'd planned weren't cohesive. This year I try to draw up exactly what I will be doing each week and this now provides an over-view of my term's work. I put in all the details on my weekly plans. I'm including my last term's medium term plan for you to look at if you want to - haven't done Term 5 yet! medium_term_plan.doc

It isn't set in stone - for example I switched round my weeks 5 and 6, didn't do some bits and added in some other ideas based on what my children seemed to be enjoying/disliking - but I find this much more useful than my MT plans from last year i.e. now I actually use it!

As you can see, I don't produce seperate MT plans for CLL and MD and largely follow the NNS sample medium term plans for my maths unless there's some aspect of MD that particularly links with a certain week. However, I do produce separate weekly plans for CLL and MD although I sometimes feel bad about this as I wonder if I'm singling them out for 'special attention' when all the areas in the Foundation Stage are meant to be equal aren't they?

Edited by Guest

I am reception teacher in a Foundation Stage Unit we plan as a team across F1/F2 and plan for the topic across the 6 areas but also do a more detailed literacy and numeracy plan. As Moose says planning isnt set in stone and can be jiggled to fit in with the topic and children's interests/needs.

I did a medium term plan for all 6 areas which covered about half a term. This addressed learning objectives and likely activities linked to the theme. I also did a role-play plan and then addressed planning in more detail for all learning areas in my weekly plan. This had the nitty gritty for Literacy and Numeracy but also allowed for felxibility, as each weekly plan built on the previous weeks observations and progress, or lack of it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)