Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Weather Station, Role Play

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has done a weather station role play area in their classroom. If so what things did you include? How did you include up to 4 children? Love to hear ideas!

Hi,

We had a weather area last term - made a television out of a box so the children could be presenters after watching some forcasts I had taped. A weather chart with symbols on velcro and a pointer.

Outside we had windchimes and an anemometer for wind, giant thermometer and rain gauges.

We made weather diaries as a literacy link and read weather poems

I have attached some of the signs and pictures I used on display - hope it works!

weather.ppt

Sunflower

Hi ,

We had a box of clothes appropriate for different types of weather for them to dress up in.

Daily weather charts for them to fill in with a set of weather symbols to copy.

Also Giant thermometer to record temperature inside and out.

We watched the clouds and talked about their shape and how slow /fast they were moving.

As we did this in the spring term we were able to use outside area, especially when we had hailstones and the occasional flurry of snow.

Tia

Guest Miss Molly

I had a large map on the wall, pointer and laminated symbols and words with blue tack. The children enjoyed making a camera using junk materials and we made a large fluffy mic on a short pole. There were pictures appropriate to the topic and questions on the wall. There were also whiteboards in the area and topic words around for children to use. There was a sentence maker where children could put the words in the correct order. This consolidated the weather diary writing that they did every morning. I also like the idea about the dressing up clothes. I would suggest that you add things week by week as otherwise the novelty will wear off and the children may lose interest. Start with the map, symbols and make the camera together.

We usually do this as an outdoor role play and include rainguages wind socks giant thermometers weather charts with stick on symbols indoor we use a program called pic a picture which records a weeks weather.

Edited by Marion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)