Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help To Get Back To Doing What I Really Love!

Hello all

I asked a smilar quesion a few months ago and have lost the post/can't find it here ...so I'm afraid I need to ask again.

How can I get back into teaching in a mainstream nursery, reception or year one class??? I teachin a special school and have een there for 11 years and wan to move for a variety of reasons. However, I recently applied for a job, got no response and am wondeing what to do as I suspect that I may be peceived as not knowing aout mainstream education and may be outof touch.

Actually I'm not and although the children I teach are aged 9 and 10, the curriculum I teach is recepton and year 1.

Ideally I'dgive up and go and get lots of experience in a reception class, but finances won't allow that. I'm not brave enough to go on the supply list ecause it's not guaranteed regular income.

Help and this time I'll print all replies out.

Im really surprised that you havent been snapped up by now because of your experience in special school. Are there usually many applicants for jobs where you live? We rarely find more than 4 for an inner city post here in Brum. Hav you ever asked for feedback when you have applied for a job? A bit scary, I know, but soem Heads are very willing to say why you didnt get shortlisted. You do need to sell yourself really well on paper and I always think it helps if you visit the school before you apply. Make sure that if you are applying for a job, you get a person specification for that job, and explain in your application or letter how you meet all of the requirements. There are some other little tips as well like if you have an application form, dont send a cv, and dont add more paper than is absolutely necessary.

When you next see a job you like, give us all a shout and we'll help you do the form. Then you can wow them out at interview :D

Hi Kate,

Did you really get no response when you applied? :o That's incredible. Was that the school you told me about?

How many days a week are you working at the moment? I know it's hard, but you might find that you'll be seen as more up to date with mainstream/FS stuff by prospective employers if you offer help at your little girl's school for a morning/afternoon a week. Maybe just for a term. Particularly if you use your creative art and dance skills. Then, you'd get a fab reference for your next job application. :)

:o That sounds really weird Kate! does it mean that if you work in special schools theres no way back in to mainstream, whats the problem with experienced teachers in special schools they can offer so much . If, as been talked about the special schools close, wont these employers welcome all these experienced people?? you do have to sell yourself.

hope this helps, ( but I am not a teacher only an inclusionist) :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)