Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Setting up your account for tracking in the EYFS Analysis section

Please note that this tutorial is about tracking for the old EYFS. For information about tracking screens for the new EYFS 2021, please click here.

In this tutorial we're going to cover of the different settings that are available for the EYFS Analysis on Tapestry.

You can find this section by going to the Control Panel (1), then selecting 'Settings' (2) and from this drop-down choose the 'Analysis' option (3).

image.png

The first section of this page refers to the Next Steps on Tapestry, you can read this tutorial here for information on what each of this options means. In this tutorial we're going to be looking at the 'Qualitative Ranges' section. These are used for the overview graphs in the analysis section of Tapestry and control the colour coded sections - so what is trailing, satisfactory, and good (or whatever terminology you choose to use).

This setting contains 3 tabs for 'Progress', 'Attainment' and 'Thoroughness'. I've given a brief description of how scores for each one are calculated on Tapestry but please see below links for more in-depth tutorials about this. 

Attainment: This is the number of months above or below their actual age that a child has been assessed as, so an attainment score of 0 means a child is working at their exact actual age.

Progress: This is the difference in attainments for a child across two periods. A progress score of 0 means that they are progressing at the same rate as they are ageing. 

Thoroughness: This is the average number of assessments made in an Aspect for a child throughout a period (so the total number of assessments divided by 17).

How attainment scores on Tapestry are calculated

How progress scores on Tapestry are calculated

How thoroughness scores on Tapestry are calculated

So let's have a closer look at this chart now.

At the top you can use the tabs to set whether you are setting the range for progress, attainment or thoroughness (1). In this tutorial I'm going to focus on 'thoroughness', so the average number of assessments. 

In the text boxes (2) you can change the Tapestry terminology from 'trailing', 'satisfactory' or 'good' to terms you use in your setting if you wish. 

Then in the 'Minimum' and 'Maximum' boxes (3) you can set the ranges for your setting. If the boxes are greyed out this means it's not possible to change this score. For example with thoroughness you can't set it below 0 as it's not possible for a child to have less than 0 assessments on Tapestry. 

Here I've set the minimum requirement for a child's thoroughness score to be Satisfactory as 1. Remember, a child's thoroughness score is an average of their assessments, so a total thoroughness score of 1 would mean a child has 17 assessments (because there are 17 Aspects - but the assessments can be spread randomly between the Aspects, this doesn't mean they will have to have 1 assessment per Aspect). 

The '+' and '-' buttons (4) either add or remove a threshold in case you wanted to have more or less than three. The 'Reset' button (5) sets all the thresholds back to the last saved state i.e. undoes any customisation performed in the current session and the 'Set Default Ranges' button (6) sets all the thresholds in the tab back to "factory settings" i.e. no customisation.

Make sure you press the 'Save' button (6) when you're happy with the values you've selected.

2019-03-04_15-56-36.png

Making changes to these ranges won't change the actual thoroughness, attainment or progress scores for children, but it might change the colour coding for them on the Overview Graphs. You can find these graphs by going to the Tracking tab at the top of the page (1), select the EYFS section (2), then click on the 'Overview' button in either the thoroughness, attainment or progress sections (3). 

image.png

Below you can see an example of one of these graphs - this one is the Thoroughness Area of Learning graph. 

The scores we are looking at are on the right-hand side. This shows you the Aspects with the most assessments. You can see in the 'Thoroughness' column the thoroughness scores for each of these Aspects and they are also colour coded as green and pink.

The green Aspects, 'speaking', 'making relationships' and 'self-confidence', are ones where the thoroughness scores are considered as 'satisfactory' by the ranges we have set.

The Aspects 'understanding' and 'managing feelings and behaviour' are showing as pink as these thoroughness scores are currently considered as 'trailing'. 

2019-03-05_14-25-13.png

I'm now going to show you what happens if we change the ranges for thoroughness. I'm going to change it so the range for 'satisfactory' is actually 1.3-2, rather than 1-2 as it is currently. 

You'll see that now that I have done this, the score for speaking has stayed as green (1) but the ones for making relationships and self confidence and self awareness have changed to pink (2). This is because the thoroughness score of 1.2 is now considered as trailing.

2019-03-05_14-48-23.png

Now that you understand these ranges you can go head and set them to whatever suits your setting! 

Go back to Main Tutorials Page