Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can A Deputy Be Level 2?

I am the deputy supervisor of a pre-school and will be taking over as supervisor in September (or possibly earlier). I have a member of staff who is very keen to be the new deputy. She is a level 2 but doesn't necessarily want to do the level 3 training (she is in her late fifties). She is a reliable and keen member of the team and would be a great support to me but can she hold this position as a level 2?

Any advice gratefully received! :D

Hi Nicki

Unfortunately the answer is no. What happens if you are off for any reason-would she be in charge? If that is the case than she must be level 3. Anybody in a supervisory position needs this.

I had this problem when the standards first came into being. Like you one of my staff, who had been with me a long time and was always in charge when I wasn't there, didn't have a level 3 qualification. She was in her 50's and reluctant to train. I managed to persuade her and another long standing member of staff to do the DPP together. I am so glad I did because she has made a great deputy and I feel very confident when I am not there that the group is in safe hands.

Linda

Hi

We have just had something similar to this. We needed a new Senco. The assessor who comes in to assess my staff doing NVQ's said we needed someone with a level 3 qualififcation. I asked the PSLA and my early years advisor who told me someone with level 2 can do this position, as she was very keen i have sent her on all the relevant training "I'm the new senco etc", and she is now very good at her job but!!!

We have now discovered that our Senco needs to be level 3 for the accreditation, as she is unwilling do do a level 3.

It looks like we are back to the drawing board.!!!

Good luck with your Deputy Supervisor, hope she is willing to do a level 3

Oh Dear!!! I might have to go back to the drawing board too then!! A member of my staff has always shown an interest in being a Senco and after my Deputy left a couple of weeks ago, she asked if she could do it, great, I thought, she's more than capable, hard working and very keen, but now will have to put it to her to get more training. Slightly ironic how the most loyal and hard working members are those with the basic qualifications, who can do the job standing on their heads!

before half term myself (supervisor) and my deputy (level 3) had the flu at the same time. the chair put a level 2 member of staff in charge with a new member of staffs qualification (level 3 ) ..when i questioned it she said she had cleared it with Ofsted!!!!

What do you think?????

hali,

you can run with a level 2 in charge if it is an emergency or a one off as long as you make other arrangement for longer term, as long as you inform ofsted.

When I had staffing problems last year (the deputy left and no one would apply for the job) I phoned Ofsted to check who I could have supervising the group in my absence because I only had level 2 qualified staff

Ofsted suggested that I nominated the most compitent member of staff perferably with the most expereinced of our setting to act as deputy even if they were least qualified.

The main point they stressed was that the member of staff was competent and experienced to run the session in emergencies and that they completed the necessary Ofsted form/ Health check declaring that in emergencies they would be acting as supervisor to ensure continuity of care.

If you have a good, competent member of staff who has many years experience of the setting and they will only be in charge for emergencies then it might be worth checking with Ofsted before denying her the opportunity of being deputy. if is she willing to train in the future? you could always have an action plan in place?

if she doesnt want to train then maybe she could have a change in job title (such as assistant manager) so that she carries out many of the duties but without the deputy supervisors responcibilities to the children.

Thank you Alison,

Next job on my list has to be phoning ofsted to see what they say.

There will hopefully only be a few occasions when I won't be at pre-school (when my own children are sick xD )

But I obviously don't want to break any rules and jeopardise pre-school. When I do take over as supervisor I know I've got to face the dreaded ofsted interview :o and they might not accept me either :( !!!

has anyone looked at this weeks nursery world..there is a flyer in there 'working together towards the same high standards'

Its about the national OCCUPATIONAL STANDARDS IN CHILDRENS CARE...ABOUT LEVELS 2 3 AND 4

can anyone tell me if we have to follow what they are saying or is it only guidelines!!!!!

has anyone looked at this weeks nursery world..there is a flyer in there 'working together towards the same high standards'

Its about the national OCCUPATIONAL STANDARDS IN CHILDRENS CARE...ABOUT LEVELS 2 3 AND 4

can anyone tell me if we have to follow what they are saying or is it only guidelines!!!!!

51555[/snapback]

I think these new occupational standards have come from originally the "Every Child Matters" document. A Childrens Workforce development council (CWDC) was set up to look at the standardisation of qualifications across many sectors of the early years field, thus enabling the workforce to be able to use their training, knowledge and skills to access job opportunities in different areas of the sector, any sector working with children aged 0-16 yrs ( sometimes with the need to do transitional modules) and to ensure a common thread within all qualifications. This common thread is derived from the "Common Core of Knowledge and Skills" . ( I think that is the name)

These have been discussed before on the forum, so try a search. Your Foundation Degree will be, I think at level 4 ( but don't quote me on that).

I thought the standards were still under consultation and development until June 2006, but obviously from the flyer The NDNA and Playwork Unit have already worked with CWDC to produce the National Occupational standards in CCLD.

Try these for more info:

http://www.cwdcouncil.org.uk/news/detail.a...ars+Profession+

http://www.cwdcouncil.org.uk/projects/earlyyears.htm

Peggy

I thought you may like to see this;

The Children's Workforce Development Council had hoped the standards could be in place as early as this September. However, feedback from a consultation has led to a rethink and the council is meeting today (22 March) to discuss the way forward.

This is just part of a news item on the Children Now site:

http://www.childrennow.co.uk/home/index.cfm

The Foundation Degree in Early Years is on the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ) http://www.qca.org.uk/493_15772.html

and is listed as 'I' (intermediate) and parallel to Level 5 on the NQF. The Certificate in Early Years Practice (those with the OU receive this on completion of E123/E124) is Level 4.

My brain is addled with the numerous titles and levels being branded about! I love the poem on the letters page in NW this week!