Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Inspection Framework consultation

FSFRebecca

I was in London  to hear from Ofsted's South East team regarding the proposed new Education Inspection Framework which opened for consultation yesterday. All the draft documents are available on the Ofsted website along with HMCI Amanda Spielman's speech:

The consultation briefing was informative and considerably more open than I had expected. I will put my notes on this thread over the weekend - when I have had  chance to write them up. In the meantime - this presentation gives a clear picture of what it is that Ofsted are aiming for.

There were several interesting questions raised which I am sure will lead to healthy debate in the sector - watch this space :D

Presentation notes

Thanks Rebecca ..not read it all yet. I do agree that education should be  much more holistic but it is after all this government who have pushed for everything to be quantifiable and 'measurable' . I do have some concerns however as a setting who always have a high level of needs behaviour cannot always be guaranteed ..especially when you have a 2 year old who doesn't speak English and has send !! I hope that the criteria used to observe these things will be understanding of this.

• Like 1

Certainly there was discussion regarding the ‘behaviour and attitude’ requirement. It was made very clear that it was not an expectation that children would all be behaving perfectly but rather that there was a well thought out, developmentally appropriate,  behaviour policy that was consistently applied by all staff. Therefore, were the children being taught skills and strategies for sharing? Was ‘waiting’ for a turn encouraged and taught fairly? Particular comment was made for children with SEND and other behaviour issues - inspectors would be looking for appropriate support being given - not simply ‘expecting’ them to conform. From what I heard yesterday. Ofsted’s attitude to behaviour was common sense and was what good settings do anyway. There are lots of ‘voices’ in the last couple of days shouting about the outrageous requirement that babies’ behaviour is judged- but we all have expectations of babies’ behaviour already and we all teach our expectations carefully- ‘gentle hands’, ‘share’ etc, my interpretation is that is what is being asked. :D

• Like 2

I've yet to attend one of the sessions so it will certainly be interesting to hear. There seems to be a buzz phrase of ' cultural capital'  coming through the various handbooks.

But there also seems to be a greater emphasis on SEND which I think is a good thing.

I've always said and always believed that everyone should read and feedback on the consultation, good and bad.

If you have a view, have a voice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)