Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Date of birth on registers

An adviser from the local council has said we need to show the date of birth on the A4 sheet of paper that we use to collect the day's attendances. This information is transferred each day to computer where it can be reported on as necessary (including date of birth). However, I cannot believe it is actually an Ofsted requirement to show DOB on the paper used to collect the data. Is it?

Hmm, I don't know.  We have each child's age in years and months on our register and I have always assumed this was to manage ratios.  We use nursery management software though so it just appears on the register, I don't have to enter it.

Edited to say...I don't have the EYFS to hand but you could check in the requirements or some kind person will be along with a more definitive answer!

Edited by Stargrower

I've had a look at the Statutory Framework. The register does not have to have the child's date of birth. 

Information about the provider

3.76.Providers must hold the following documentation: 

• a daily record of the names of the children being cared for on the premises, their hours of attendance and the names of each child's key person

However, in a previous section the requirement is as follows

Information about the child

3.72.Providers must record the following information for each child in their care: full name; date of birth; name and address of every parent and/or carer who is known to the provider (and information about any other person who has parental responsibility for the child); which parent(s) and/or carer(s) the child normally lives with; and emergency contact details for parents and/or carers.

I would say that the local authority adviser has conflated these two requirements. If you want to have the date of birth to aid ratio planning (as discussed above) then that's fine, but it's not what the Statutory Framework says :)

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)